You can have Simnel cake using 30 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Simnel cake
- You need of For the marzipan:.
- Prepare of ground almonds.
- Prepare of icing sugar, plus extra to dust.
- It’s of free-range egg yolks.
- It’s of lemon juice.
- It’s of For the cake:.
- Prepare of milk.
- You need of good pinch of saffron.
- Prepare of raisins.
- Prepare of sultanas.
- Prepare of brandy, vin santo or white rum.
- You need of bleached almonds.
- Prepare of plain flour.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- It’s of ground almonds.
- You need of fine salt.
- It’s of mixed spice.
- Prepare of butter, at room temperature.
- Prepare of soft, light brown sugar.
- It’s of eggs.
- You need of golden syrup.
- You need of zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange.
- It’s of glacé cherries, halved.
- Prepare of mixed peel.
- You need of apricot jam, to brush over the cake.
- Prepare of For the icing:.
- It’s of caster sugar.
- It’s of butter.
- Prepare of lemon juice.
- You need of icing sugar.
Simnel cake instructions
- Put the raisins and sultanas in a mixing bowl or a small zip lock bag. Heat up the spirits to almost boiling, pour it into the fruit and mix well. Seal the bag or cover the bowl and leave for a few hours, best overnight, to soak..
- Butter and line with parchment a 20cm deep cake tin. Prepare another disc of parchment the size of the tin to place on top of the cake, to stop it from burning. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas 2..
- Warm up the milk and put the saffron strands into it to soak. Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan or in hot oven on a baking tray for 10-15 minutes until they turn golden. Cool and chop roughly..
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, ground almonds, salt and mixed spice and put to one side. Beat the butter in an electric mixer, add the sugar and beat well until the mixture turns pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating continuously, alternating with a little flour mix. Beat in the rest of the flour, golden syrup, zest and the milk with saffron..
- Drain the soaked fruit if necessary – but all the liquid should have been absorbed. Stir them into the cake batter together with the chopped almonds, peel and glace cherries..
- Take the marzipan out of the fridge and roll it out on a surface dusted with icing sugar to a disc the size of your tin. Spoon half the cake batter into the tin, place the marzipan disc in and spoon the rest of the cake mix on top..
- Smooth the surface with a spatula and place the parchment disc on top..
- Bake the cake for about 1 ¾ – 2 hours until a skewer inserted in the middle (not too deep because of the marzipan layer) comes out clean. Cool in the tin, unmould and brush the top and sides with the apricot jam warmed up slightly in a small pan..
- To make the icing, bring the butter, caster sugar and lemon juice to the boiling point then pour over the icing sugar. Whisk to a smooth paste, add some yellow food colouring for extra Easter cheer..
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake with a palette knife, making sure no crumbs mix into the icing and spoil the effect. Leave to set..
recipe by Cuisine Fiend @cookpad