Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can make Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF
- You need 275 grams of gluten free or plain flour (2 cups).
- Prepare 2 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 200 grams of granulated sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of xanthan gum if using gf flour.
- You need 65 grams of sunflower spread / butter (1/4 cup).
- It’s 240 ml of full fat coconut milk.
- You need 60 ml of fresh orange juice.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- It’s 1 tsp of orange zest.
- It’s 30 grams of poppy seeds (1/4 cup).
- It’s of Orange Buttercream.
- Prepare 175 grams of icing / powdered sugar.
- It’s 75 grams of sunflower spread / butter.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh orange juice.
- Prepare 1 tsp of orange zest.
Vickys Orange Poppy Seed Cake, GF DF EF SF NF step by step
- Preheat the oven to gas 4 / 180C / 350°F and grease & line an 8" round cake tin.
- Sift the flour into a stand mixer bowl. Add the baking powder, sugar, xanthan gum, sunflower spread, coconut milk, orange juice & vanilla and mix together on a medium speed for a few minutes until the batter is smooth and silky.
- If using gluten free flour you'll need to let the batter rest 10 minutes after beating then mix again adding in more coconut milk to adjust the consistency, up to 3 tablespoons. The mixture should be a little bit thinner than normal cake batter.
- Stir in the orange zest and poppy seeds until evenly distributed.
- Pour into the lined tin and bake for 55 – 60 minutes until risen, pulled in from the sides of the tin and nicely domed. Insert a toothpick in the middle to test it's cooked through, it will come out clean when done.
- Invert it onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.
- For the frosting, cream the icing sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy. Mix in the orange juice to thin the consistency then stir in the orange zest.
- Spread evenly on top decorate with some extra orange zest.
- Makes 1 layer of cake. Cake recipe and frosting recipe can both be doubled and split between 2 x 8" tins.
recipe by Vicky@Jacks Free-From Cookbook @cookpad