Oxtail Stew. Deliciously rich oxtail stew recipe, with oxtails braised in red wine and stock, with onions, parsnips, and carrots. If you've never had oxtail stew, you're in for a treat. It's rich, SUPER flavorful, with This is a good thing!
Oxtail stew dishes are a traditional item in various cuisines. Coda alla vaccinara is a modern Roman cuisine stew made with oxtail. Rabo de Toro is a traditional Spanish Oxtail Stew. You can cook Oxtail Stew using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Oxtail Stew
- It’s 1 1/2 kg of Oxtail.
- You need 1 of Cake flour.
- It’s 1 of Butter.
- You need 1 clove of Garlic.
- You need 1 of Carrot.
- It’s 1/2 of Onion.
- It’s 1 stalk of Celery.
- You need 1 tbsp of Brown sugar.
- You need 1 of Bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 dash of Marjoram.
- It’s 100 ml of Marsala wine.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of Tomato purée.
- Prepare 1 of Salt.
Yes, that's right, I'm cooking with oxtails. Don't look at me like that! I hadn't made Oxtail Stew in a long time until I made this recipe recently. Oxtails used to be dirt cheap.
Oxtail Stew instructions
- Soak the oxtail in cold water to remove the blood. Leave it to soak for more than 3 hours. Refresh the water at least once during that time..
- Chop all of the vegetables into small cubes..
- Drain the water from the meat from Step 1 and dry off the moisture. Lightly dust with flour. Heat a frying pan over high heat and add the butter (1 tablespoon). When the butter has melted halfway, add the oxtail and brown both sides..
- Once both sides of the oxtail have browned, transfer to a pot to simmer..
- In the same frying pan, add another tablespoon of butter. Add the vegetables and bay leaf and cook over medium heat. When the onion becomes semi-transparent, create a space in the center and fill it with the brown sugar to make a caramel..
- Once the brown sugar has become bubbly and melts, pour in the marsala wine to make the caramel. Add the tomato purée and marjoram. Pour in 500 ml of water and mix everything together..
- Pour the sauce from Step 6 over the oxtail in the pot from Step 4. The liquid should reach about halfway up to the height of the oxtail. Add more water to adjust..
- Simmer for about 3 hours over low heat. Turn over the oxtail occasionally as it simmers and season with salt. Since it will become even tastier when reheated, turn off the heat to let it cool. Then simmer for another 2-3 hours. The sauce will become very rich and thick when simmered for a total of 6 hours. It will taste even more delicious the following day..
- Taste and season with salt to finish. Be careful when placing it on a dish! The meat is so soft it will fall apart easily. Garnish with a bit of parsley and enjoy with simple bread or boiled potatoes..
Slow cooked, richly flavored Oxtail Stew is the perfect cold-weather one-dish meal. Round out this stew with your favorite hearty bread. This really rich oxtail stew recipe makes the most of this economical cut of meat for a British classic. Wash the oxtail pieces and pat dry with kitchen paper. Jamaican Oxtail Stew- This Braised Oxtail with butter beans has complex note from allspice but also that familiar garlic, thyme , onion medley.