Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura. Namora is a semolina cake soaked in sugar syrup that is often found on baklava platters. Combine three cups sugar, lemon juice, and water in a small saucepan. Semolina flour is more course than regular white milled wheat flours, and in this Greek Orange Semolina Cake it results in a It's easy to make and with just yoghurt for topping it's also fairly quick in cake land.
Make the Syrup by combining the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Remove the cake from the oven and cut the slices all the way through. Pour all of the syrup over the cake and set aside at room temperature to allow the cake to absorb it. You can make Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura
- You need 1 kg of semolina.
- It’s 1 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of milk.
- Prepare 1 cup of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of mastic gum, crushed in ½ teaspoon sugar.
- It’s 4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of orange blossom water.
- Prepare 3 teaspoons of rose water.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of tahini, sesame paste.
- You need of – For the sugar syrup:.
- It’s 2 1/2 cups of sugar.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of water.
- You need 1 teaspoon of rose water.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- You need of – For garnishing:.
- It’s 25 of almonds, cut in halves.
Make the syrup while the cakes are baking. I chose to soak my Semolina Cake in orange juice and orange blossom water, and the combination is outstanding. The syrup has just melted into the cake and you can see this wonderful sheen coming through. The first bites and we feel the moistness of this cake.
Semolina cake in sugar syrup – nammoura step by step
- To prepare the sugar syrup, put the sugar and water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Leave to boil then add the lemon juice and keep on medium heat for 10 min until the syrup thickens. Add the orange blossom water and rose water. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl..
- For the batter, mix all the ingredients together, except the tahini..
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 30 cm diameter baking tray with the tahini. Spread evenly the batter in the tray and leave to rest at room temperature for 1½ hr..
- Preheat the oven to medium heat. Put the tray in the oven on the middle rack and bake for around 30 min..
- Remove from the oven and cut the cake into lozenges while still in the pan. Return the tray to the oven on the top rack until the cake's surface turns golden brown..
- Turn off the oven. Pour the sugar syrup over the cake while it is still hot and place it back in the oven for a while until the syrup is absorbed..
- Take out the cake and place an almond in the middle of each lozenge piece. Serve at room temperature..
Dense cake/bars with Middle Eastern flavors like rose water and orange blossom water. Good for every occasion, great after a meal, or with tea or coffee. An Egyptian almond-coconut semolina cake, drenched in cinnamon syrup. Some use a honey-based syrup, others use a sugar-based syrup. It is a semolina sponge cake with a touch of lemon and sweetened with a simple syrup Check out Turkish Semolina Cake in Syrup for a subtle twist on this simple recipe.