You can make Steamed Buns using 27 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Steamed Buns
- It’s of A. For the buns.
- It’s of water.
- Prepare of vegetable/corn oil.
- It’s of sugar (1/4 c).
- It’s of any low protein flour (7-9%).
- It’s of double acting baking powder.
- It’s of dry instant yeast.
- You need of B. Filling 1 – vegetarian.
- Prepare of bok choy – finely chopped.
- Prepare of (Mix with 1/4 tsp of fine salt).
- It’s of fresh shiitake mushrooms.
- It’s of (Washed. Drained. Finely chopped).
- Prepare of soy sauce.
- It’s of sesame oil.
- Prepare of ground white pepper.
- It’s of to taste Salt or chicken cube/granules.
- Prepare of B. Filling 2 – chicken char siu.
- You need of (or more) chopped chicken char siu.
- You need of (Char Siu recipe on previous post).
- It’s of finely chopped yellow onion.
- Prepare of cooking oil.
- Prepare of oyster sauce.
- You need of corn flour + 3 tbsp water.
- You need of castor sugar.
- You need of chinese cooking wine.
- You need of sesame oil.
- It’s of dark soy sauce (or 2 tbsp – adjust).
Steamed Buns step by step
- A. For the buns – Place ingredients in A (according to the order listed) into a bread maker. Use dough setting to knead & proof the dough. Note: this recipe here uses chicken char siu as filling; authentic taste of hawkers/restaurants steamed buns..
- If Bread Maker is Not Available, knead dough by hand. Combine flour, baking powder, yeast, sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk dry ingredients until well mixed. Make a well in the flour mixture, add water & oil. Mix well & knead to form a dough. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until an elastic and smooth dough is formed (around 15-20mins). Then let rise for 1 hour..
- B. Filling 1. Vegetarian – combine the finely chopped bok choy with 1/4 tsp of salt. Allow to sit for 15mins at room temperature. Then divide it into 3-4 batches. Place each batch in the middle of a large muslin cloth & squeeze out its water content. Discard water or use this Pok choy water can be used to make green buns. Repeat the same with the remaining portions of the bok choy. Mix the rest of the filling ingredients into the squeezed bok choy until combined. Set aside..
- B. Filling 2. chicken char siu – in a frying pan, heat up cooking oil, sauté the onion until fragrant. Add chopped char siu & stir fry for 1-2mins until well mixed. Add in cooking wine, oyster sauce, sesame oil, sugar, dark soy sauce. Stir to mix for few minutes. Add corn flour mixture. Mix until well combined and all turn thick & sticky. Taste filling & adjust accordingly but do not worry about strong seasoning as buns are plain in taste..
- Note: this recipe yields 16 small buns. When the dough is ready, divide into 16 portions. Each weighing around 50g. Flatten each dough. Wrap 1-2 tbsp of filling inside each rolled dough. Repeat the rolling & wrapping steps with the rest of the dough & filling. wrap each bun up neatly & lightly shape/roll into round ball. Avoid pressing buns hard when rolling them into smooth balls. Place each bun on each paper cup liner or a small piece of baking paper with its seam sides down..
- Rest the buns in warm mist for 40mins or until the dough look puffy..
- In the meantime, prepare the steamer- set water to boil for steaming later. Steam bun over medium heat for abt 15-20mins until done. The steaming time varies if multiple layers of buns are steamed. The layer that is closest to direct steam will take lesser time to cook (around 15mins). When ready, remove the buns from the steamer & serve warm..
- Left over can be refrigerated or kept in the freezer with cling wrap & cover. Allow buns to cool completely at room temperature before freezing. Wrap each bun in small bag before storing in the freezer. To consume, steam until hot & serve. Alternatively, refrigerated buns can also be microwaved for 15-30sec..
recipe by Pinkblanket's Tiny Kitchen @cookpad