Vegan nut roast.
You can make Vegan nut roast using 17 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan nut roast
- It’s 2 of medium parsnips.
- You need 2 of medium carrots.
- You need 1 of medium sweet potato.
- Prepare 2 of medium echalion shallots.
- Prepare 1 cup of chestnut mushrooms.
- You need 1/2 cup of raw cashews.
- It’s 1/2 cup of walnuts.
- It’s 1/3 cup of almonds.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds.
- It’s 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs (use GF crumbs, GF oats or omit for a GF recipe).
- You need 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast (optional).
- You need 1 tsp of Smoked Paprika.
- You need 1 tsp of Marjoram (or Oregano if preferred).
- Prepare 1 tsp of Thyme.
- You need of Vegan butter or coconut oil for frying.
- Prepare of Sea salt.
- It’s of Black pepper.
Vegan nut roast instructions
- Preheat oven to 190 C degrees..
- Grease a 450g/1lb bread loaf tin with vegan butter or coconut oil, and line with baking paper..
- Prick sweet potato with fork and wrap in foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until soft enough to mash. Alternatively, microwave for 5-6 minutes until soft. Peel when cooled..
- Core and rough chop parsnips into 2cm chunks..
- Peel and rough chop carrots into 2cm chunks..
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil and cook carrots for 5 minutes, then add parsnips. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until carrots are just soft enough to mash, then remove from heat and drain..
- Meanwhile, finely chop mushrooms and shallots and gently fry in a medium frying pan with a knob of vegan butter or teaspoon of coconut oil until just beginning to soften. Leave to cool..
- Use a pestle and mortar or end of a rolling pin to crush cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and almonds so that no whole pieces remain – keep chunks for a good texture..
- Add cooked carrots, parsnips, sweet potato to a bowl and lightly mash together..
- Add cooked mushrooms, shallots (and mushroom and butter liquid) and all nuts and seeds to bowl..
- Add nutritional yeast (if using), breadcrumbs, seasonings and salt & pepper to taste..
- Mix well using stick blender, spoon or hands. It should hold its shape. If too wet, add more breadcrumbs or oats..
- Press well into tin and smooth over top..
- Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes, rotating half way through, or until a crust has formed on top and edges are brown and crispy. If you like a firmer 'loaf', cover with foil and bake for another 10 mins..
- Remove from tin and leave to cool slightly before slicing. Keeps well for up to five days in the fridge, and can be frozen too..
- **Optional extras*** – Lightly toast almonds and cashews in a frying pan before crushing – Add dried cranberries and/or chopped apricots before baking for a fruitier version – Add 1 tbsp peanut butter or cashew butter for a nuttier version, or as a substitute for one or more of the nuts above – Add 1 tbsp of maple syrup or agave nectar for a sweeter version.
recipe by LadyAdy @cookpad