Rose cake or Rose cookies. Believe it or not, I have never made a basic Spritz cookie before! They are so good, so nice and buttery and light. Hardly what I am used to baking…which is rich, heavy, sugary flavors.
This recipe uses rose water in both the cake batter and in the buttercream. Rose water is a very delicate flavor, and can easily be overwhelming if you aren't careful. Rose Cookies is the typical Anglo Indian cookie and the favorite among Indian Christians during Christmas season. You can cook Rose cake or Rose cookies using 8 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Rose cake or Rose cookies
- Prepare 1 cup of rice.
- Prepare 2 tsp of maida.
- You need 4 tsp of sugar powder or as per your taste.
- It’s 1 pinch of Salt.
- Prepare 2 pods of crushed cardamom (optional).
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut milk.
- You need 1 tsp of sesame seeds.
- You need as required of Oil for deep fry.
These are similar to European Christmas fruit cakes served during Christmas eve meals. Also known as Gulabi Puvvulu in Telugu. Fresh roses make this lovely white layer cake all the more beautiful — inside and out! Apparently the more vibrant the rose petals — such as deep red or pink varieties — the stronger the flavor.
Rose cake or Rose cookies step by step
- Soak rice for 2 hours then wash and make a smooth paste using coconut milk..
- Then add all the ingredients and mix well, add little more coconut milk to adjust the consistency..
- The consistency of batter should be slightly thinner than dosa batter..
- Now heat oil in a kadhai or a deep pan and dip the mold in oil till use, the mould should be hot..
- Keep the flame completely low and dip 3/4th of the mold in the batter, when u dip the mold in batter, u should get a ssshhh sound, immediately keep the mould in oil.
- Leave it for maximum 3 to 5 seconds in very low flame, do not wait for the rose cake to half cook because u may not be able to release it,.
- Hold the mold in one hand and release the every corner of rose cake from the mold using a knife in other hand, rose cake will release in oil and gets cooked, cook for 30 seconds and flip the rose cake.
- Again cook for 30 seconds till bubbles cease and rose cake turns golden brown lightly.
- Rose cake will be soft while you remove but it turns crispy and hard as it cools down, remove in a tissue paper and drain the oil.
- Again keep the Mold in hot oil and increase the flame, keep it for few seconds and dip in batter, reduce the flame and cook it as mentioned above, repeat the same process..
- Store in an air tight jar after it cools down..
- Remember to cook in low flame to get a nice colour, also increase the flame as soon as you remove the rose cake from the flame.
- Note-The heating point of oil is also more important, if it is too hot, the colour of rose cake turns dark brown, so u should cook in low flame at perfect heating point.
- The batter won't coat the mould if the mold is not hot, so don't forget to heat the mold every time before dipping in batter.
Rose Atwater is the founder and cake decorator behind Rose Bakes. Her work has been featured in American Cake Decorating Magazine, Cakes Decor, Pretty Witty Cakes Magazine, Huffington Post. Rose Cookies or Achu Murukku is a famous sweet snack made during festivals in southern states of India. It is a tasty crunchy snack loved by children especially because of its inviting appearance. Here is the traditional recipe for making rose cookies using the mould.