Battenburg Cake (gluten free) 🧈.
You can make Battenburg Cake (gluten free) 🧈 using 14 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Battenburg Cake (gluten free) 🧈
- Prepare of caster sugar.
- It’s of butter.
- Prepare of gluten free self raising flour (I love doves farm).
- Prepare of ground almonds.
- Prepare of eggs.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- Prepare of xanthan gum.
- It’s of vanilla essence.
- You need of almond essence.
- It’s of Pink and yellow food colouring gel.
- You need of To assemble:.
- Prepare of golden marzipan (pre made or bought).
- It’s of Apricot conserve.
- It’s of Icing sugar for dusting counter.
Battenburg Cake (gluten free) 🧈 step by step
- Preheat the oven to 160c. Melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds until soft. Once softened, add to a large mixing bowl with the sugar. Whisk to a cream with an electric whisk for 2-3 mins..
- Add the almonds, eggs, baking powder, xanthan gum, vanilla essence and almond essence. Whisk with the electric whisk for 30 seconds to combine..
- Sift in the flour. Fold in with a metal spoon until a smooth mixture has formed..
- Split the mixture equally into two bowls. Add 3 small drops of colouring gel to each bowl and stir. Add more if you want darker colours. Gel works better than liquid colouring as it doesn’t affect the consistency of the cake mix..
- Distribute the mixture into two rectangular tins..
- If you don’t have a battenburg tin loaf tins work well, or use a square tin divided into two..
- Cook at 160c for 15-25 mins. Using long rectangular tins took 18 mins, but it will depend on the size of tin you use. Cook until the cakes start to brown on the top. Use a cake tester or end of a teaspoon to check it’s cooked through in the middle..
- Once fully cooled, use a sharp knife to slice the cake in half long ways..
- Microwave the apricot jam for 30 seconds until runny. Dust a large chopping board or worktop with icing sugar and use a rolling pin to roll out the marzipan so it it big enough to cover all 4 sides of the cake. Use a teaspoon to coat in a layer of jam..
- Carefully lift the cake slices into the centre of marzipan. Use the remaining jam as a glue to hold the segments together..
- Fold the marzipan over the cake. Flip the cake over so the join is at the bottom. Use a sharp knife to cut either end to make them neat. Serve and enjoy!.
recipe by Emma Yells @cookpad