Vegetarian gyoza (dumpling).
You can have Vegetarian gyoza (dumpling) using 24 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegetarian gyoza (dumpling)
- Prepare of Stuffing for gyoza-.
- It’s of sweet potato (1/2 butternut squash).
- It’s of minced ginger.
- Prepare of minced garlic.
- You need of large onion, chopped.
- It’s of shiitake mushrooms, chopped.
- Prepare of cabbage, finely shredded.
- It’s of carrot, finely shredded.
- Prepare of chinese chives (or garlic chives), finely chopped.
- You need of white pepper.
- You need of sesame oil.
- Prepare of shaoxing wine or dry sherry.
- It’s of soysauce.
- You need of sugar.
- You need of Salt.
- You need of Gyoza wrap-.
- It’s of Gyoza wrapper.
- Prepare of (Or check my homemade gyoza wrapper recipe).
- Prepare of water (for wrapping).
- It’s of Cooking oil to cook your gyoza.
- You need of Dipping sauce.
- Prepare of soy sauce.
- It’s of white wine vinegar.
- You need of thumb size ginger (thin slices).
Vegetarian gyoza (dumpling) step by step
- Roast your butternut squash and sweet potato: Cut butternut squash and sweet potato into quarters lengthways, seeds removed fro squash. Roast them in the oven on 180C/350F/Gas 4 for about an hour but take them out half way to urn them round and check. Once they cooked, leave them to cool down and scoop them out into a mixing bowl, mash them up until all mixed together..
- In a big pan or wok, turn the heat onto medium high heat, add vegetable cooking oil in then add some garlic, carrots and spring onions. Stir fired them until it cooked then add mushrooms, roasted butternut squash and sweet potato in. Add some Chinese chives and cabbage then mix well. Seasoning with salt, pepper, soy sauce shaoxing wine, sugar and sesame oil. Keep stir fried them until the mixture cooked and the liquid all dry out. Leave it to cool down a little but before start to wrap them up..
- Making dipping sauce, add soysauce, vinegar and ginger together. Transfer to dipping sauce bowl.
- Time to wrap : Take a wrapper and place it in the palm of your hand. Add 1 tbsp of stuff into the middle. Dip one finger in a bowl of water and draw a circle around the outer 1/4” of the wrapper with your wet finger until it's wet all around..
- Fold the wrapper in half over the filling and pinch it in the center with your fingers then use your thumb and index finger, start making a pleat on the top part of the wrapper from the center toward the right and left (about 3 pleat each side). As you fold each pleat, press the folded pleat tightly against the back part of wrapper using your other thumb and index finger..
- Here’s how a finished gyoza should look like. Repeat until you run out of the filling or wrappers..
- Cook the gyoza in batches. Heat a non-stick frying pan with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Place you dumpling or gyoza any clockwise and fry them on one side only – don’t turn them over, you just want one crispy side. They should be golden brown after about 2 mins..
- Add a small cup of water to the pan and cover with a steaming lid or a large sheet of foil with a few holes poked in the top. Cook over a medium heat for 3-5 mins until the water has evaporated and the dumplings or gyoza filling is cooked through. Set aside while you cook the rest. Serve them with dipping sauce.
recipe by Yui Miles @cookpad