You can make Granola using 22 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Granola
- It’s of "dry ingredients".
- You need 7 cups of old fashioned oats.
- You need 1 cup of wheat bran.
- You need 1 cup of flax meal.
- You need of "flavorings".
- Prepare 1/4 cup of canola, coconut or olive oil.
- You need 1/4 cup of applesauce.
- It’s 1/2 cup of brown or raw sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of honey or agave.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of turmeric.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of vanilla, maple or almond extract.
- You need 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare of "nuts, seeds & fruits".
- Prepare 1 cup of broken walnuts.
- It’s 1 cup of broken pecans.
- You need 1/2 cup of raw pumpkin seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped dates.
- It’s 1 cup of raisins or dried cranberries.
Granola step by step
- Preheat oven to 275° F or 135° C.
- Mix oats, bran & flax in a large roasting pan..
- Whisk the "flavorings" together and then drizzle over the oat mixture. Stir until evenly moist..
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours — stirring every 15 minutes..
- After the third stirring, add the "nuts, seeds & fruits"..
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes..
- Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container..
- NOTE: I have experimented with the balance and quantities of the fats and sugars. As I reduced the fat, the texture went from crunchy to chewy. I did not have success with less than 1/4 cup of fat. I have also sometimes replaced the more processed sugars with unsweetened frozen juice concentrate..
- Serving size – 1/4 cup.
recipe by JoAnn Morford @cookpad