Vickys Easter Simnel Cake, GF DF EF SF.
You can make Vickys Easter Simnel Cake, GF DF EF SF using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Vickys Easter Simnel Cake, GF DF EF SF
- It’s of Almond Dough/Marzipan.
- You need of ground almonds.
- You need of icing/powdered sugar.
- Prepare of lemons, zest and juice.
- It’s of Fruit Cake.
- You need of apple.
- It’s of sunflower oil.
- It’s of soft light brown sugar.
- It’s of water.
- You need of ground nutmeg.
- It’s of ground cinnamon.
- It’s of xanthan gum.
- It’s of gluten free baking powder.
- You need of gluten free flour.
- You need of mixed fruit – raisins, currants, sultanas and quartered glacé cherries.
- Prepare of mixed glacé peel.
- Prepare of apricot jam.
Vickys Easter Simnel Cake, GF DF EF SF instructions
- Preheat the oven to gas 3 / 160C / 325°F and grease & line a deep 8" round springform cake tin.
- Mix together the almonds, icing sugar, lemon juice and zest. Form into 2 balls, cover and set aside.
- Grate the apple into a bowl, add the sugar and oil then beat vigorously. Add the water, nutmeg, cinnamon, xanthan gum and baking powder beating vigorously again, then mix in the flour, fruits and peel.
- Spoon half the mixture into the cake tin. Take one ball of the almond paste, roll into a 9" circle and place it on top of the cake mixture. Spread the remaining cake mixture on top of the almond paste.
- Bake for 1 & 1/2 – 3/4 hours. Let the cake cool then run a knife around the tin edges and turn it out onto a wire rack. Brush the top of the cold cake with the apricot jam. Take the second ball of almond paste and break off 11 marble sized pieces.
- Roll out the remaining almond dough/marzipan into an 8" round using the springform tin base as a guide. Place the almond dough circle on top of the apricot jam. Press the 11 balls of almond dough in a circle around the top of the cake, moistening the base of each slightly with the leftover jam.
- Put under the grill to slightly toast the top of the marzipan paste.
recipe by Vicky@Jacks Free-From Cookbook @cookpad