Fruit cake / Christmas cake.
You can have Fruit cake / Christmas cake using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Fruit cake / Christmas cake
- It’s 1 kg of dried fruit – a mix of raisins, sultanas, prunes, figs, cherries, cranberries.
- You need of Zest and juice of 1 orange.
- You need of Zest and juice of 1 (unwaxed) lemon (use 2 if they are small/ medium sized).
- You need 150 ml of strong black tea + a few more spoonfuls for ‘feeding’.
- Prepare 250 g of butter.
- Prepare 100 g of light brown sugar.
- You need 175 g of plain flour.
- You need 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- Prepare 100 g of ground almonds.
- Prepare 100 g of flaked almonds.
- You need 75-100 g of walnut pieces.
- Prepare 2 tsp of mixed spice.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cloves.
- It’s 4 of large eggs.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
Fruit cake / Christmas cake step by step
- Prepare the tin. Use a 20cm cake tin and double line with baking paper. Then line the outside too..
- In a large heavy pan, put the fruits, lemon and orange zest and juice, the tea, the butter and the sugar. Heat on medium until boiling. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 5 mins..
- Leave the fruit mix to cool. Quickest way is to empty the pan onto a roasting tray or you can also put in a bowl..
- Preheat oven to 150C..
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients..
- Add the fruit and eggs and vanilla. Stir until well combined..
- Pour the mix into the cake tin. Smooth the top. Cook for about 2 hours..
- When the cake is ready, use a skewer to make a few holes in the top. Spoon in about 3 tbsp of black tea (this is ‘feeding’ the cake). Leave to cool..
- Enjoy 😋.
recipe by Alessandra @cookpad