Gingerbread. This gingerbread, handsdown, is the best I've ever tasted. I remember that the kitchen smelled like heaven when Grandmother baked her gingerbread. The only thing better was when she took it out of the oven and served it with a generous topping of fresh whipped cream! —Ellouise Halstead, Union Grove, Wisconsin Nothing makes a house smell more like Christmas than the sweet and spicy aroma of a freshly baked pan of gingerbread.
The practice of baking and sharing gingerbread originated in Europe several hundred. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool right in the pan. Old-fashioned gingerbread is the perfect treat to keep on hand during the holidays. You can make Gingerbread using 19 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Gingerbread
- Prepare 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Prepare 2 1/4 teaspoons of ground ginger.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/8 teaspoon of ground blackboepper.
- It’s 1/8 teaspoon of ground cayeene pepper.
- Prepare 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- It’s 1/3 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need of For Serving.
- You need 1 of large egg.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of old fashioned molasses.
- It’s 1/4 cup of sour cream.
- It’s 1/4 cup of raisins, optional.
- Prepare as needed of fresh whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.
- It’s of For Garnish.
- Prepare of candied ginget.
There are many variations: from the darkest, densest cakes made with robust molasses and stout beer to the lightest, most delicate cakes flavored only with brown sugar and a hint of ground ginger. Gingerbread Recipes Nothing screams the holiday season quite like a warm, spicy gingerbread. Check out our recipes for the wintery classic, from an over-the-top gingerbread house to cupcakes with. Gingerbread comes out heavy, but each bite is perfectly flavored and moist and just melts in your mouth.
Gingerbread step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 8 by 8 baking pan with bakers sprau.
- Whisk together in a bowl, flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, black and cayeene pepper.
- In another large bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Beat in the molasses.
- Add half of flour mixture and stir in, then remaining flour and stir in, then stir in sour cream. Fold in raisins if using.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Place pan on foil lined baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes until a skwer comes out just clean in the center. Let cool about 15 minutes to serve hot in sqares..
- Serve with Whipped Cream or Vanilla ice cream or both! Garnish with Candied ginger..
- This is best warm but can be made in advance, cut into serving sqares and wrapped in indivdually and frozen. Thaw and microwave each piece to serve. Also it can be baked early in the day but don't cut the servings until ready to eat. Heat each serving just until warm in the microwave.
This is the perfect cozy wintertime treat. I recommend serving your Gingerbread while it's still warm rather than waiting to allow it to cool completely. Gingerbread (made with fresh ginger) — this year, don't reach for powdered ginger. Fresh ginger gives this traditional dessert a healthy, flavorful update. We are Gingerbread, the charity for single parent families.