Indian Eggplant and Potato Curry. Easy Indian spiced Eggplants and Potatoes. This is an easy curried eggplant potato – Aloo Baingan recipe. I picked it up from Mom and have been making my version of it for many years.
The famous aloo baingan also known as potato eggplant curry is made many ways. Given below is step by step instructions followed by important notes including how to cook this curry in stove top pressure cooker and possible substitution. This healthy combination of eggplant and potatoes curry is cooked in the North Indian Punjabi style. You can have Indian Eggplant and Potato Curry using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Indian Eggplant and Potato Curry
- Prepare 1 of medium eggplant, cubed.
- You need 1 of onion, diced.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 2 of ripe medium tomatoes.
- It’s 1 tsp of garam masala powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of mild Indian curry powder.
- You need 1 tsp of coriander.
- Prepare 1 tsp of turmeric.
- You need 300 ml of coconut milk.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare 2 of medium potatoes, peeled and diced.
This is also similar to the Pakistani style of Did you know that eggplant is known by many other names across the world? It is called brinjal in India, aubergine in Britain and as eggplant in America. Potato Eggplant Curry is a delicious and flavorful Punjabi dish made by cooking potatoes and eggplants with onions, tomatoes and few indian spices. A curry made from roasted eggplant, onion, tomatoes and Indian spices; Baingan Bharta is a MUST-HAVE Indian curry!
Indian Eggplant and Potato Curry step by step
- Put the diced potato in a bowl and cover with a damp paper towel and heat on high for 3 min, or until cooked through..
- Stir fry eggplant until cooked through. Set aside..
- Stir fry onion, garlic. When aromatic, add the tomatoes and fry until tomatoes are wilted and become like a soup..
- Add the potato, eggplant, spices and coconut milk and simmer on low for 5 min..
This is a delicious and fairly easy curry recipe, it uses many spices and has a lot of flavor. NOTE: the longer you leave it to sit, the better the flavors to develop. Aloo baingan masala is a hearty vegetarian Indian dish made up of spiced potatoes and eggplant. It's so simple to make and delicious too! It has some gravy but it's not a super soupy curry.