You can cook Potato Fry using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Potato Fry
- Prepare 4 of Russet potatoes (big).
- It’s 2 cups of Water (500 ml).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of chana dal.
- It’s 1 tsp of urad dal.
- You need 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Prepare as needed of Salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of Asafoetida.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Mustard seeds.
- It’s as needed of Chilli powder.
Potato Fry instructions
- Add water and boil potatoes (unpeeled) for about 20 mins..
- Once boiled, wash them in cool water/ice bath to stop further cooking. This is called as "shocking". Remove the skin from the potatoes. Chop in bigger chunks..
- In a pan add oil and heat well. Then toss in the mustard seeds and wait till they pop! Following that, add chana dal, asafoetida, urad dal, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and sauté on low till the dals turn golden brown..
- Next; add the peeled potatoes to the oil. Combine oil with the potatoes and let it low roast untill the potatoes start getting a dark roast color. Kindly avoid burning by maintaining the heat on low. Keep tossing every 5 minutes. After 10 minutes, add salt. Then, finally turn off the stove and serve..
- Note: you can add spices of your choice. You can even boil peeled potatoes, but I prefer it with skin on for this recipe. Oil can be replaced with ghee as well. Grated/dry ginger may also be add to the pan when tempering. If interested, garlic may also be used after finely chopped..