Vegan Shepherd's Pie.
You can have Vegan Shepherd's Pie using 16 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- It’s of rinsed, 12h-soaked green&brown lentils*.
- Prepare of water.
- It’s of salt & pepper.
- Prepare of large white onion ca.175g.
- It’s of garlic cloves ca.20g.
- You need of carrots ca.200g.
- Prepare of Olive oil (or vegan butter).
- It’s of fresh thyme or 1½tsp dryied thyme.
- You need of diced potatoes (came from a packet of 3kg).
- Prepare of salted water (e.g. 2tbsp of smoked salt).
- It’s of cashews.
- Prepare of water (e.g. reuse potato water).
- Prepare of herb salt.
- You need of ground pepper.
- It’s of ground nutmeg.
- It’s of or the equivalent in jarred precooked lentils.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Rub 27x36cm casserole with raw garlic clove, grease with vegan butter or olive oil (a spray is easiest).
- Boil lentils in 1.5 l of water for 40min (or use 2x 660g glas jars of lentils).
- Or cook lentils w/out soaking in thermomix.
- If termomix available: add 500g lentils, tbsp veggie broth powder and 1.5l water; program 100°C for 40min reverse speed 1. Done :).
- Lentils into casserole.
- Add salt & pepper to please your taste.
- Mince garlic (in tmx at speed 7), onion, carrots (tmx 5) and sautee with thyme in olive oil (tmx varoma speed 1 for 3min).
- Add garlic etc to lentils in casserole and combine everything.
- Let heat up and simmer at low temperature.
- Grind pepper over lentils if desired.
- Peal off knobbly parts of potato. I often leave a large amount of skin on because I like it. Choose what you prefer..
- Dice potatoes and start boiling salted water in pot.
- When water is boiling add the potatoes, cover with lid and set timer for 15 minutes.
- During cooking time you will need to lessen heat so potatoes don't boil over.
- Preheat 220℃ oven.
- Potatoes need to be very soft for mashing, and if done, pour out water (keep it for making cashew cream).
- Potatoes back into pot, lid on and now blend cashews with water at highest speed for 90 seconds.
- Start mashing up potatoes, add cashew cream (depending on type of potato you might not need all of the cream) and a dab of butter. Add salt, nutmeg and pepper to your taste..
- If using separate frying pan, transfer thickened lentils to casserole. Lentils are the base layer.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Into oven for 10-15 minutes until mash is a bit browned at peaks.
- If lentils are a bit liquidy you can use hot-air oven, then please turn down to 200℃.
- As I have left the peal on half of the potatoes, you can see specks of it in the baked potato crust of this just out-of-the-oven delicious shepherd's pie.
recipe by NAGEV 💓 Zabeth @cookpad