Oat, Date and Apple Traybake.
You can have Oat, Date and Apple Traybake using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Oat, Date and Apple Traybake
- You need of butter, plus extra for greasing.
- You need of peeled, cored and sliced apple.
- You need of stoned dates, any kind, chopped.
- Prepare of light soft brown sugar.
- It’s of plain flour.
- You need of bicarbonate of soda.
- Prepare of porridge oats, plus an extra 50g.
Oat, Date and Apple Traybake step by step
- Heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Butter an 18cm square tin and line with baking parchment. Place the sliced apples into a pan with 2 tbsp water. Bring to a simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes until tender and slightly pulpy..
- Add the chopped dates and 50g of the sugar, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Take off the heat and break the apples down with the back of a spoon until smooth and well mixed with the dates. Set aside..
- Gently melt the butter in a separate pan. Mix the flour, bicarbonate, oats and remaining sugar in a bowl. Pour the dry mixture into the melted butter and stir well until oats are coated..
- Evenly spread half the oat mixture into the tin and press down firmly to create a base, spread the date and apple mix on top and smooth over. Mix in an extra 25-50g oats to the oat mixture in the pan at this point (this wasn't in the recipe but I thought the mixture needed a bit of dryness to crumble nicely, and I was right)..
- Sprinkle over the remaining oat mixture to cover the date mixture. Bake for 30-35 mins until golden and firm. Cool in the tin before cutting into squares..
recipe by Joanne @cookpad