You can make Eggs Benedict using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Eggs Benedict
- It’s of The hollandaise.
- You need 2 of x egg yolks.
- Prepare 125 g of x unsalted butter.
- It’s 1 of x dessert spoon of white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
- Prepare of The rest.
- Prepare 2 of x English breakfast muffins.
- It’s 4 of x Eggs.
- You need 4 of x thin slices of your best ham (or bacon).
Eggs Benedict step by step
- Separate the 2 egg yolks and place in a glass or stainless steel bowl over hot water (not boiling) it is really important that the water is barely simmering and that the water is not in contact with the bottom of the bowl. Whisk constantly util it has thickened to a sabayon..
- The sabayon is ready when it coat's the back of a spoon, now place a tea towel on your work surface and use the same pan that you had the hot water in on top (minus the water) this will make a firm base to sit the bowl in when you add the butter. Melt the butter next on a low heat and do not let it brown, it doesn't have to be boiling when you add it to the eggs..
- Half your muffins and toast them, sit your bowl back in the pan secured with a tea towel and whisk constantly again while you add the melted butte in a very slow trickle. If you add the butter too quickly the mixture will split (I will share a recipe soon on how to recover a split mayonnaise) in the 3rd image you can see the milk solids separated in the bottom of your pan, you can add these or leave them depending on how thick your hollandaise is (they will make it thinner).
- Taste and season the hollandaise, I transferred mine into a small bowl. Then I put the pan back on the stove with at least 6 inches of water to boil, then pre open the eggs for poaching, I put mine into a tiny bowl or a tea cup, this means you know if the yolk is not broken and it makes it easier to tip into the boiling water..
- To poach the eggs have the water just simmering (not boiling) lower the bowl right to the surface and roll it in, you can do 2 or 4 eggs at the same time. Let the eggs have 30 seconds or so for the egg white to start setting then stir the water VERY gently in 1 direction so the eggs rotate around in the pan, this stops them from looking like fried eggs. It should take 2 to 3 minutes to poach a medium egg, test by lifting one out and pressing your finger against it, it should be semi firm..
- When your happy with your eggs transfer them onto a plate with some kitchen paper to absorb excess water, lay the ham on the toasted muffin followed by egg and season. Spoon as much hollandaise as you want over the eggs..
- The food blogger in me cannot resist adding some greenery in the form of parsley but it really doesn't need it, I was really happy with the dish the eggs were perfect for me, if you like yours more or less add or subtract 30 seconds. This didn't last long and I hope you enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4VcoZBngUY&t=540s.
recipe by Uncle Matt's Cookery Lessons @cookpad