Irish Sherry Strawberry Trifle. Slice jelly roll and line bottom of glass bowl. Line bottom of bowl with sponge cakes, wet sponge with sherry. Add layer of sliced banana, sliced apple and fruit cocktail.
Slice the strawberries, setting aside some for decoration, and layer them evenly over the cake. Press the berries lightly with a fork to release their juices. Keep things easy with this trifle recipe. You can make Irish Sherry Strawberry Trifle using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Irish Sherry Strawberry Trifle
- It’s 4 cups of flour.
- Prepare 3 cups of sugar.
- You need 2 cups of chopped strawberries.
- You need 5 of eggs.
- Prepare 1 stick of butter.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 3/4 tsp of vanilla extract.
- You need of Sherry (I used Brandy as a substitute).
- You need 2 1/4 cups of milk.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 cups of water.
Prepare jelly powder according to Quick Set directions on package. Spoon slightly thickened jelly over fruit. This will be saved to your scrapbook. You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks.
Irish Sherry Strawberry Trifle step by step
- For the custard: In a bowl, mix 4 eggs with 1 1/4 tbl of sugar. Add the vanilla extract and mix. In a saucepan, heat 2 1/4 cups of milk. Do not boil, or it will curdle. Once milk is hot, pour into egg mixture and stir while adding to the bowl. Then, place entire bowl contents into the saucepan and heat – stirring constantly. Stir until custard coats the back of your stirring spoon. Place in a container and set aside for now..
- For the strawberry topping: Take the chopped strawberries and add 2 cups of water to a saucepan. Heat until mixture is a rolling boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1 cup of sugar and bring to a rolling boil again. Reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes – stirring often to dissolve sugar. Place in a container and set aside for now..
- For the shortbread: Mix 1 stick of butter with 1/2 cup of sugar with a mixer or by hand. Add 1 cup of flour, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 1 tsp baking powder. Add 1 egg and mix. Chill in refrigerator for about 15 minutes. Take out of refrigerator and roll out on a flat surface. Cut shortbread into small round shapes using a cookie cutter or an upside down wine glass. Place onto a greased cookie sheet and bake in oven at 400 degrees. Bake for about 10 minutes. Cookies should just be turning a slight golden color around the edges..
- Making the trifle: Take a tall glass (I only have maurgarita glasses). Crumble one of the shortbread cookies into the bottom of the glass. Pour sherry over the crumbled cookie until it absorbs all the alcohol. Pour the custard over this. Place another shortbread cookienover the top. Pour the strawberry topping over this. If desired, put whipped cream on top. Garnish with strawberry. Note: You may add as many layers as you like – depending on how tall your glass is..
Trifle is a revelation, when made as it should be, with lots of quality sherry. I won first prize in a dairy recipe contest with this tasty trifle. You can double the recipe and make two for large groups. Arrange a third of the strawberries around sides of bowl and over cake; top with half of the pudding mixture. This Easy Strawberry Shortcake Trifle recipe is simple to make with layers of moist vanilla cake, fresh strawberries, strawberry sauce & whipped cream!