Cretan kserotigana (fried pastry strips) for weddings. Cretan kserotigana (fried pastry strips) for weddings. Greek Sweets, Greek Desserts, Greek Recipes, Honey Lemon, Recipe Images, Food To Make, Cooking, Weddings, Greece. Pour the flour into a large bowl.
For the syrup: Boil the sugar, water and cinnamon. Last month I cooked (and hosted) a Cretan dinner as part of my Greek Supper Club events and the Kserotigana are not as hard as you twirl the dough around your fingers then stick a fork in the middle. -Gamopilafo, the famous Cretan wedding rice. -Bougatsa, pastry filled with cream and dusted with powder sugar. -Hohlioi boubouristoi (fried snails). -Kserotigana, the honey dipped spiral or butterfly shaped pastries, sprinkled with crushed almonds. Fried Wonton Strips cook up deliciously crispy and they are a cinch to make. You can make Cretan kserotigana (fried pastry strips) for weddings using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Cretan kserotigana (fried pastry strips) for weddings
- You need of Pastry.
- Prepare 1 kg of strong flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of raki.
- You need 1 tsp of oil.
- You need 1 tbsp of salt.
- You need of water, as much as it takes (about 2 cups).
- You need of Syrup.
- It’s 1 kg of sugar.
- It’s 1/2 kg of water.
- Prepare 5-6 tbsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 cup of honey.
- You need of lemon.
- Prepare of walnuts, cinnamon and sesame for sprinkling.
There is nothing like the texture and crunch of wonton strips and they are so easy to make at home. They make a great snack or serve them with soup or. Traditional Cretan cuisine is exceptional, even by Greek standards. Its strength lies in fresh Apaki It takes many days to cook this smoked pork dish – first, the strips of pork are marinated in vinegar for Kserotigana.
Cretan kserotigana (fried pastry strips) for weddings step by step
- Put the flour in a large bowl, open a well in the middle and pour in the raki, the oil, salt and water..
- Use the flour from the sides little by little and knead until you get a firm dough. Let it rest for a while..
- Roll out a thin sheet of pastry in a strip of about 1m and cut it into 4 smaller strips. Put some oil in a pot..
- When the oil heats, wrap each strip seperately around your fingers starting from two fingers, then three and then four, till the end of the strip. Stick its end together and transfer it into the hot oil. Use two forks to turn the rings into the oil being careful so that they do not lose their round shape..
- When the rounded strip is crisp take it out of the oil and place it on kitchen paper to drain while continuing with another..
- Fry the rest of the kserotigana and then prepare the syrupboil the sugar, cinnamon and water for 15 minutes and in the end add the honey and the lemon..
- Dip each kserotigano in the hot syrup for a couple of minutes and then take it out, put it on a platter and sprinkle with cinnamon, ground walnuts or sesame or both..
This sweet pastry is a speciality of Chania, and traditionally prepared for Epiphany or. Crispy, sweet douph with a very special shape fried in sunflower oil. This is one of the traditional sweets of Crete that we used to make in the Christmas holidays, but nowadays we usually serve it at weddings or christenings to the guests. What's the difference between chicken tenders and chicken strips? Chicken strips are slices of the whole chicken breast.