Southern style grilled ham.
You can cook Southern style grilled ham using 13 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you make that.
Ingredients of Southern style grilled ham
- You need 1 of Raw uncured ham.
- It’s 1 of For the brine.
- Prepare 1 gallon of water.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of salt.
- You need 1 cup of brown sugar.
- It’s 1 dash of Fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s 1/2 cup of molasses.
- It’s 1 of For the glaze/dipping sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of maple syrup.
- It’s 1 cup of Brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of Apple or orange juice.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Brown mustard.
Southern style grilled ham instructions
- Prepare brine and score skin in an X pattern about 1\2 inch deep let ham soak in brine for at least 12 hours minimum up to 48 hrs.
- Use bakers twine to keep ham from losing it's shape..
- Prepare your grill (I use a big green egg) for indirect heat at 300 to 350. You should use fruit wood for best results..
- Let ham sit at room temperature for about a half hour for even cooking..
- Place on grill fatty side up and have a drip pan underneath..
- After 1st hour turn and baste every half hour with drippings..
- Cook 1/2 hour per pound or until internal temperature reaches 160 in thickest part of meat without touching the bone..
- Apply glaze when desired temperature is reached and let it cook for 20 more minutes..
- Take ham off and reglaze cover with foil and let it rest for 1/2 to 1 hour before carving (This is important).
- For the glaze.
- While ham is cooking combine all of the ingredients for glaze in a sauce pot and stir over med. to med. high heat until it reaches a slow boil. (Do not let sauce get too hot as it will burn the sugar) you want a slow boil for 2 to 3 minutes sauce will start to thicken and when cooled will coat a spoon..
- Do not modify this recipe it is over 110 years old!.
recipe by Florida man @cookpad