Date & Oat Bars.
You can have Date & Oat Bars using 22 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Date & Oat Bars
- You need of For the Sticky Date Filling.
- It’s of Medjool dates, pitted and chopped.
- You need of water.
- You need of Lemon Juice.
- You need of Soft Dark Brown Sugar.
- Prepare of grated orange zest.
- You need of ground cinnamon.
- You need of Mixed Spice.
- You need of Bicarbonate of Soda.
- It’s of For the Oaty Layer.
- It’s of Plain Wholemeal Flour.
- It’s of Quick Cook Oats.
- You need of Jumbo Oats.
- It’s of Soft Dark Brown Sugar.
- It’s of Unsalted Butter, cubed and chilled.
- You need of Baking Powder.
- Prepare of Bicarbonate of Soda.
- You need of Ground Cinnamon.
- You need of fine salt.
- You need of To decorate (optional).
- Prepare of Drizzle Golden Syrup.
- You need of Chopped Pecans.
Date & Oat Bars step by step
- Grease and line with baking parchment an 8×8 inch baking pan..
- First, make the date filling. Place all the date filling ingredients except the Bicarb of Soda into a medium saucepan. Mix together well with a wooden spoon and bring to the boil for 1 minute. Continuing to stir, simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until the dates have fallen apart and the mixture comes together. Take off the heat and stir in the bicarb. Leave to cool.
- Next make the oaty layers: In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, bicarb, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the cubes of butter and begin rubbing the butter into the flour mix using your fingertips until you have a breadcrumb texture. Pop the mixture in the fridge while you Preheat the oven to 200C Fan..
- When the oven is up to temperature, press down 1/2 of the oaty mixture into the prepared baking pa, making sure it is distributed evenly. Spread the date mixture evenly over the crust, taking it all the way to the edges. Crumble the remaining oat mixture on top – again making sure it is evenly distributed – and light pat down making sure it covers the date mixture nicely..
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and lightly toasted. Allow to cool in the tin before placing onto a wire rack. Make sure it is completely cool before cutting into squares..
recipe by Jodie Mann @cookpad