Split pea soup with ham. This is a hearty split pea soup has a flavorful ham bone cooked with carrots, potatoes, onions, and a pinch of marjoram. Once peas are soaked, add ham bone, onion, salt, pepper and marjoram. I did a few things my old way such as.
To freeze pea soup, let the soup cool then transfer to freezer safe containers in portions and label the soup with the date and time. My hearty green pea soup with a leftover ham bone will have you coming back for seconds.and thirds! I use cheap dried green peas for this recipe. You can cook Split pea soup with ham using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Split pea soup with ham
- You need 2 lb of dry split peas.
- It’s 1 large of chopped onion.
- Prepare 2 of chopped celery stalks.
- You need 6 of minced garlic cloves.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chopped carrots.
- It’s 10 cup of water or chicken broth.
- You need 1 of ham bone , trimming the fat the best you can.
- You need 1 tsp of oregano.
- You need 1 tsp of thyme.
- It’s 1 of salt/ pepper to taste.
Use leftover ham to make split pea soup prep even easier. You'll turn to this split pea soup with ham all winter long. How to Make Split Pea Soup with Ham. While I love a creamy soup like clam chowder, I prefer my.
Split pea soup with ham instructions
- In a big dutch oven or a heavy pot, put the ham, the split peas, water or the chicken broth, onion and garlic..
- Bring to boil and then, lower to medium heat. Remove the foam and continue to cook for 1 hour, mixing often because split peas tend to stick in the bottom..
- Add the remaining ingredients and lower the heat to simmer up to 40 more minutes, mixing often.add more liquid if you want.
- At this point, the split peas must be like pureè. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with herbed or garlic croutons.ENJOY!.
recipe by patuca @cookpad
How to make split pea soup with a ham bone. If you're planning on having ham this holiday season, do NOT throw out the bone! Add peas and ham hock and cover with stock by a couple inches. Bean Soup Split Pea Soup Beans and Legumes Soup American Ham Onion Recipes Pea Recipes Main Dish Appetizer. Split peas and lentils are the two legumes that don't actually need an overnight soak or extensive cooking times, consequently, I always have a bag of each on hand for quick, easy, satisfying meals.