Are you looking for a unique cake recipe that is healthy, delicious and easy to make? Look no further than this tomato cake recipe! Yes, you read that right – tomato cake. It may sound strange, but trust us, it’s a winning combination of sweet and savory flavors that will have your taste buds dancing with joy.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla extract and Greek yogurt.
- Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the tomato sauce. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in sun-dried tomatoes and chopped basil.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrates: 27g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Total Time: 50-55 minutes
- 9-inch cake pan
- Mixing bowls
- Mixer or hand beater
- Wire rack
This tomato cake is perfect for a unique dessert or as a snack with a cup of coffee or tea. You can serve it plain or dusted with powdered sugar. You can also top it with whipped cream or cream cheese frosting. It pairs well with a glass of red wine or a cold beer.
Try adding different herbs or spices to the batter, such as oregano, thyme, or even chili powder for a spicy kick. You can also add other ingredients like chopped olives, feta cheese, or caramelized onions. For a sweeter version, add more sugar and cinnamon.
If you don’t have sun-dried tomatoes, you can use fresh tomatoes that have been roasted in the oven. You can also use canned tomatoes or tomato paste. If you don’t have Greek yogurt, you can use sour cream or buttermilk. If you want to make it vegan, you can substitute the butter and eggs with vegan butter and flax eggs.
You can store this cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. To thaw, leave it at room temperature or microwave for a few seconds.
- Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature before starting.
- Don’t overmix the batter, or the cake will be tough and dry.
- Use a toothpick to check if the cake is done. If it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Let the cake cool completely before slicing, or it will fall apart.
This tomato cake is a great way to use up any leftover tomato sauce or sun-dried tomatoes you may have in your pantry. It’s also a fun way to incorporate more veggies into your diet. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors and ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of sun-dried tomatoes?
Yes, you can use fresh tomatoes that have been roasted in the oven for a similar flavor.
Can I make this cake gluten-free?
Yes, you can substitute the all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this cake a day ahead of time and store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
When I first heard of a tomato cake, I was definitely skeptical. But after trying this recipe, I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious it was! The combination of sweet and savory flavors was perfect, and the texture was moist and fluffy. I love that it’s a healthier option than traditional cakes, and it’s a great way to use up any leftover tomato sauce or sun-dried tomatoes. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try!
To sum it up, this tomato cake recipe is easy, delicious, and healthy. It’s a unique dessert or snack that will impress your friends and family. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors and ingredients to make it your own. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!