Ham in coke.
You can have Ham in coke using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Ham in coke
- You need 2 kg of gammon, mild cure.
- It’s 1 of onion, peeled and halved.
- It’s 2 litres of cola.
- Prepare of Glaze.
- You need 1 handful of Cloves.
- You need 1 tbsp of golden syrup.
- You need 2 tsp of English mustard powder.
- You need 2 tbsp of demerara sugar.
Ham in coke step by step
- Put the gammon in a pan, skin side down if it fits like, add the onion then pour over the cola..
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a good simmer, put the lid on, though not tightly, and cook for 1 hour a kilo. If gammon is straight from fridge add 15mins to cooking time..
- Preheat oven to 240°C/gas 9.
- Take the ham out of the pan and let the ham cool a little for ease of handling. (You can let it cool completely then finish off the cooking at some later stage if you want)..
- Remove skin, leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove. Then carefully spread the golden syrup over the fat. Then gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat..
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes or till the glaze is dark and bubbly. If you left the ham after the simmering, cook for 30-40 minutes at 180°C instead.
recipe by Tom Jacobs @cookpad