The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious yule log? For those with gluten sensitivities, finding a gluten-free version may seem like a challenge. But fear not, we’ve got you covered with this easy and delicious recipe for a gluten-free yule log. Whether you’re hosting a holiday gathering or just want to indulge in a festive treat, this recipe is sure to please.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Extra cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract to the egg mixture and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and fold gently until just combined.
- Add the hot water and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Place a clean kitchen towel on a flat surface and sprinkle it with cocoa powder.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
- Invert the cake onto the cocoa powder-covered towel and peel off the parchment paper.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the cake, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Spread the whipped cream over the jam.
- Starting at one of the short ends, use the towel to gently roll up the cake into a log shape.
- Place the log seam-side down on a serving platter.
- Dust with cocoa powder before serving.
Serving size: 1 slice (1/8 of the yule log)
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Sodium: 280mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 45g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Total Sugars: 34g
- Protein: 6g
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 12-15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 10×15 inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Clean kitchen towel
- Serving platter
This gluten-free yule log is perfect for serving at holiday gatherings or as a special treat for your family. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and some fresh raspberries for an extra special touch.
For a different flavor, try using strawberry jam or lemon curd instead of raspberry jam. You can also add chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the batter for extra texture and flavor.
If almond flour is not available, you can substitute with an equal amount of gluten-free flour. You can also use regular flour if you don’t have a gluten sensitivity.
This yule log can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make sure to grease and line your jelly roll pan with parchment paper to prevent the cake from sticking.
- When rolling up the cake, use the kitchen towel to help guide the cake into a log shape.
- Dust the cake with cocoa powder just before serving to prevent it from getting soggy.
This recipe can be easily doubled to make a larger yule log.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze this yule log?
Yes, you can freeze this yule log for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing.
Can I use a different jam for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of jam or fruit filling that you like.
Can I make this recipe dairy-free?
Yes, you can use dairy-free whipped cream and substitute the butter in the cake batter with a dairy-free alternative.
This gluten-free yule log is the perfect holiday treat for those with gluten sensitivities. The cake is moist and chocolatey, and the raspberry jam and whipped cream add a delicious sweetness. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be customized with your favorite jam or filling. Give it a try this holiday season and impress your friends and family with your baking skills!