The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a festive Carrot Cake Yule Log? This delicious cake is a twist on the classic yule log, combining the warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg with the sweet taste of carrots. Not only is it delicious, but it also makes for a stunning centerpiece to any holiday table.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, carefully roll it up in a towel or parchment paper, starting at the short end. Let it cool completely while rolled.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Carefully unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture over the top, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Roll the cake back up, using the towel or parchment paper to help you roll it tightly. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Calories: 310 | Fat: 18g | Carbohydrates: 34g | Fiber: 1g | Protein: 5g
Preparation Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Large mixing bowl
- Separate mixing bowl
- 10×15 inch jelly roll pan
- Cooking spray
- Towel or parchment paper
- Plastic wrap
This Carrot Cake Yule Log is a showstopper on its own, but you can also dress it up with some festive decorations such as holly leaves or powdered sugar snow. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
If you’re not a fan of walnuts, you can swap them out for pecans or almonds. You can also add a teaspoon of orange zest to the cream cheese filling for a citrusy twist.
If you don’t have any carrots on hand, you can use finely grated zucchini or sweet potato instead. You can also substitute the cream cheese filling with whipped cream or buttercream frosting.
Store any leftover Carrot Cake Yule Log in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It’s best to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to keep it fresh.
- Make sure to grease your jelly roll pan well to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Be careful when rolling up the warm cake, as it can be fragile and may crack.
- Refrigerating the cake for at least an hour before serving will help it hold its shape.
This recipe makes one 10×15 inch Carrot Cake Yule Log, which serves about 12 people.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cake and filling up to a day in advance. Store them separately in the refrigerator and assemble the yule log right before serving.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the assembled yule log for up to 2 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing.
Can I use a different type of frosting?
Yes, you can use any type of frosting you like. Just make sure it’s thick enough to roll up with the cake.
This Carrot Cake Yule Log is a delicious and festive dessert that’s perfect for any holiday gathering. The warm spices and sweet carrots make for a comforting and flavorful cake, while the cream cheese filling adds a tangy and creamy element. It’s a bit of work to roll up the cake, but the end result is definitely worth it. Give this recipe a try and impress your guests with a stunning and tasty dessert.