The holiday season is approaching, and what better way to get into the festive spirit than by indulging in a warm and cozy yule log? This year, Charter Spectrum has come up with a unique twist on the classic dessert that will have you feeling merry and bright. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make your very own Charter Spectrum Yule Log that’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 can of Charter Spectrum Yule Log channel
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a 15×10-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract to the egg mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate batter until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cake onto a clean tea towel and peel off the parchment paper.
- Roll the cake up tightly in the tea towel, starting from the short end.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, open the Charter Spectrum Yule Log channel and place your TV in a prominent location in your living room.
- Once the cake is cool, unroll it and spread the filling over the surface, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges.
- Roll the cake up tightly, using the tea towel to help you roll it up.
- Trim the ends of the cake and transfer it to a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and enough milk to make a smooth glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake and serve with a cup of hot cocoa and a cozy blanket.
Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 280
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Sodium: 220mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 41g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 33g
- Protein: 4g
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooling Time: 1 hour
- 15×10-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- Clean tea towel
- Wire rack
- Serving plate
- Small bowl
Serve with a cup of hot cocoa and a cozy blanket for a festive and cozy holiday treat.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding a layer of whipped cream or your favorite fruit preserves to the filling. You can also try substituting the cocoa powder for your favorite flavor of pudding mix for a unique twist on the classic recipe.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can substitute it with regular milk and a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. You can also use vegetable shortening or melted butter in place of the vegetable oil.
Store any leftover yule log in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make sure to let the cake cool completely before adding the filling to prevent it from melting and making a mess.
- Be sure to roll the cake tightly and evenly to prevent it from cracking or falling apart.
- If you don’t have an electric mixer, you can beat the egg whites by hand, but it will take longer and require more effort.
- Don’t worry if your yule log doesn’t come out perfectly – it’s meant to look rustic and homemade.
This recipe makes approximately 10-12 servings, depending on the size of your slices.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a yule log?
A yule log is a traditional dessert that originated in Europe and is typically served during the Christmas season. It’s a rolled cake that’s decorated to look like a log, often with frosting or a glaze made to resemble bark.
What is the Charter Spectrum Yule Log channel?
The Charter Spectrum Yule Log channel is a digital channel that features a continuous loop of a crackling fireplace and holiday music. It’s the perfect backdrop for your holiday celebrations and can be found on channel 856 or by searching “Yule Log” on your Charter Spectrum TV guide.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cake and filling ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble and serve the yule log.
The Charter Spectrum Yule Log recipe is a fun and festive way to celebrate the holidays with family and friends. The chocolate cake is moist and delicious, and the filling is sweet and creamy. The addition of the Charter Spectrum Yule Log channel makes for a cozy and inviting atmosphere that’s perfect for a holiday gathering or a night in with loved ones. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try – it’s sure to become a new holiday tradition in your household.