Winter holidays are just around the corner, and it’s time to start thinking about festive treats for your family and friends. If you’re looking for a dessert that’s both delicious and visually stunning, you can’t go wrong with a cherry yule log. This classic dessert is a perfect combination of rich chocolate cake and sweet cherry filling, all rolled up and decorated to look like a log. It’s a show-stopping centerpiece for any holiday table, and your guests will be impressed with your baking skills. Let’s dive in and learn how to make this delicious treat!
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, for decorating
- Fresh cherries, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks and granulated sugar until thick and pale. Sift in cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined. Add vanilla extract and mix again.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is still warm, dust it with powdered sugar and place a clean towel on top. Carefully flip the cake onto the towel and remove parchment paper. Roll the cake up with the towel and let it cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, heat cherry preserves over medium heat until it becomes a smooth sauce. Unroll the cake and spread the cherry sauce over the surface.
- In a mixing bowl, whip heavy cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over the cherry layer.
- Carefully roll the cake back up, starting from a short end. Place the cake on a serving platter and use a fork to create a bark-like texture on the surface. Melt chocolate chips in a microwave or double boiler and use a piping bag to pipe chocolate decorations on the surface. Garnish with fresh cherries.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Serving size: 1 slice
Calories per serving: 320
Total fat: 15g
Saturated fat: 8g
Total carbohydrates: 42g
Dietary fiber: 1g
Total sugars: 32g
Total time: 2 hours
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
- 15×10-inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Small saucepan
- Clean towel
- Serving platter
- Piping bag
Cherry yule log is a perfect dessert for holiday gatherings. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and a few fresh cherries on top. It pairs well with coffee, tea, or hot cocoa.
You can customize your cherry yule log by using different fillings and decorations. Here are some ideas:
- Replace cherry preserves with raspberry or strawberry jam
- Add chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the whipped cream
- Decorate the log with meringue mushrooms, sugared cranberries, or edible flowers
If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, here are some substitutions you can make:
- Use almond flour or gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour for a gluten-free version
- Use any fruit preserves or jam you like
- Use whipped topping instead of heavy cream
- Use white chocolate or caramel sauce for decoration instead of chocolate chips
You can store your cherry yule log in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover it with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out. You can also freeze the log for up to a month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil before freezing. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
- Make sure to grease your jelly roll pan well to prevent sticking
- Use room temperature eggs for best results
- Don’t overbake the cake or it will be dry and difficult to roll
- Be gentle when rolling and unrolling the cake to prevent cracking
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the filling and rolling it back up
If you want to make your cherry yule log ahead of time, you can bake the cake and prepare the filling separately. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Make the filling and assemble the log on the day you plan to serve it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can bake the cake and make the filling ahead of time. Store the cake in the refrigerator and the filling in an airtight container. Assemble the log on the day you plan to serve it.
Can I use a different fruit filling?
Yes, you can use any fruit preserves or jam you like. Raspberry, strawberry, or apricot would work well.
Do I have to use chocolate chips for decoration?
No, you can use any type of chocolate or caramel sauce for decoration. Get creative with your design!
Cherry yule log is a classic holiday dessert that never goes out of style. It’s a perfect combination of rich chocolate cake and sweet cherry filling, all wrapped up and decorated to look like a log. This recipe may seem daunting, but with a little patience and attention to detail, you can create a show-stopping dessert that will impress your guests. Don’t be intimidated by the rolling process – even if it cracks a bit, it will still taste delicious. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the festive flavors of the season!