It’s that time of the year again, when the air is chilly and the festive spirit is high. And what better way to celebrate than with a delicious chocolate yule log from Aldi? This festive dessert is a classic that never goes out of style and is sure to impress your friends and family. This recipe is easy to follow, and you don’t need any fancy equipment to make it. So, grab your apron, and let’s get baking!
- 4 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 65g plain flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- 300ml double cream
- 50g caster sugar (for cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- icing sugar for dusting
- chocolate shavings for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan)/350°F/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the plain flour and cocoa powder and gently fold in until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the sponge is firm to the touch.
- While the sponge is still warm, dust a sheet of parchment paper with icing sugar and turn the sponge out onto it.
- Carefully peel off the baking parchment from the sponge.
- Roll the sponge up tightly with the parchment paper inside and leave to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the double cream, caster sugar, and vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks.
- Unroll the sponge and spread the whipped cream evenly over the surface.
- Roll the sponge back up again, leaving the parchment paper behind.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Each serving of this delicious chocolate yule log contains approximately 283 calories, 21g of fat, 22g of carbohydrates, and 4g of protein.
This recipe takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake.
- 33cm x 23cm Swiss roll tin
- Baking parchment
- Electric whisk
This chocolate yule log is perfect for Christmas parties and family gatherings. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder for an extra indulgent treat.
If you want to mix things up a bit, try adding a layer of raspberry jam or chocolate ganache before spreading the whipped cream over the sponge. You could also experiment with different flavours of icing sugar for dusting or try decorating with chopped nuts or edible glitter.
If you don’t have caster sugar, you can use granulated sugar instead. You can also substitute the double cream for whipped coconut cream for a vegan-friendly version of this recipe.
This chocolate yule log will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Make sure to take it out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Make sure to roll the sponge tightly when it’s still warm to prevent cracking.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the yule log into slices for a neat finish.
- Don’t over-whisk the cream or it will become too thick and difficult to spread.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings just before serving to prevent them from melting.
This recipe makes approximately 10 servings.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe up to 24 hours ahead of time. Keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Can I freeze this chocolate yule log?
No, this recipe is not suitable for freezing as the cream filling will not hold up well when defrosted.
Can I use self-raising flour instead of plain flour?
No, self-raising flour contains baking powder which will cause the sponge to rise too much and become too fluffy for this recipe.
What can I use instead of cocoa powder?
You can use drinking chocolate powder instead of cocoa powder, but it will make the sponge sweeter and less chocolatey.
This chocolate yule log Aldi recipe is the perfect festive treat that’s sure to impress your guests. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your liking with different fillings and decorations. So, what are you waiting for? Give it a try and indulge in a delicious slice of chocolatey goodness!