Unwrap the Magic of This Allrecipes Classic
The holiday season is the perfect time to indulge in some decadent desserts, and nothing screams Christmas more than a chocolate yule log. This classic dessert is a feast for the senses, with its moist sponge, rich chocolate ganache, and festive decorations. If you’re looking for a show-stopping dessert that will impress your guests, look no further than this chocolate yule log recipe from Allrecipes.
This recipe is a crowd-pleaser, and it’s easy to see why. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also a fun and festive way to celebrate the holidays. So grab your apron, preheat your oven, and let’s get started on creating a chocolate yule log that will make all your dessert dreams come true.
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Fresh mint leaves and cranberries, for decoration
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 10×15 inch jellyroll pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add white sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually fold into egg mixture. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Dust a clean kitchen towel with powdered sugar. Turn the cake out onto the towel, and remove the parchment paper.
- Starting at the short end, roll the cake up with the towel. Cool for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the chocolate ganache. In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until it starts to steam. Remove from heat and add the chocolate chips and butter. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Unroll the cooled cake, and spread the chocolate ganache over the top, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges.
- Roll the cake back up, using the towel to help you.
- Place the cake on a serving platter, seam side down.
- Dust with powdered sugar, and decorate with fresh mint leaves and cranberries.
- Serve and enjoy!
This chocolate yule log recipe serves 10 people, and each serving contains approximately:
- Calories: 276
- Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- Sodium: 126mg
- Carbohydrates: 32.8g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sugar: 25.2g
- Protein: 4.7g
This chocolate yule log recipe takes approximately 45 minutes to prepare and bake, with an additional 30 minutes for cooling and decorating.
- 10×15 inch jellyroll pan
- Electric mixer
- Small saucepan
- Serving platter
This chocolate yule log is a dessert that’s meant to be shared. It’s perfect for holiday parties, family gatherings, or any occasion when you want to impress your guests with a delicious and festive dessert. Serve it with a cup of hot cocoa or a glass of mulled wine for an extra special treat.
If you want to mix things up, you can try adding different flavors to the cake batter or the ganache. Here are some ideas:
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract to the cake batter for a minty twist.
- Use white chocolate chips instead of semisweet for a sweeter ganache.
- Add a tablespoon of rum to the ganache for a boozy kick.
If you’re missing an ingredient or want to make a substitution, here are some ideas:
- Use granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar for dusting.
- Use dark chocolate chips instead of semisweet for a richer flavor.
- Use margarine instead of butter for a dairy-free version.
This chocolate yule log can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make sure to beat the eggs until they’re thick and lemon colored, as this will give your cake a light and fluffy texture.
- Use a clean kitchen towel that’s been dusted with powdered sugar to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Don’t overfill the cake with ganache, as this will make it difficult to roll up.
- Decorate the yule log with fresh mint leaves and cranberries for a festive touch.
This recipe is adapted from the Allrecipes classic chocolate yule log recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a yule log?
A yule log is a traditional dessert that’s typically served during the holiday season. It’s made by rolling a sponge cake into a log shape, and then decorating it with chocolate ganache, powdered sugar, and festive decorations.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cake and ganache ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble the yule log.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the cake before adding the ganache. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container before freezing. When you’re ready to assemble the yule log, let the cake thaw at room temperature before adding the ganache.
This chocolate yule log recipe is a holiday classic for a reason. It’s easy to make, delicious, and looks impressive on any dessert table. Whether you’re serving it at a holiday party or enjoying it with family at home, this dessert is sure to be a hit. So why not try it out for yourself and unwrap the magic of this Allrecipes classic?