Are you ready to satisfy your sweet tooth with a luxurious dessert fit for a celebration? Look no further than the Costco Tuxedo Cake, a masterpiece of alternating layers of rich chocolate and fluffy vanilla cake, topped with creamy chocolate mousse and dark chocolate shavings. Whether you’re planning a special occasion or simply want to indulge in a slice of heaven, this recipe is sure to impress.
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 cups of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of dark chocolate shavings
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In separate bowls, mix the chocolate cake mix and the white cake mix according to their package instructions.
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into one of the prepared pans, and the white cake batter into the other.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring until smooth.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the whipped cream until well combined.
- Place the chocolate cake on a cake stand or serving plate, and spread a layer of the chocolate mousse on top.
- Place the white cake on top of the chocolate mousse, and spread another layer of the mousse on top.
- Repeat the layers, alternating between the chocolate and white cake, until all the cake and mousse are used up.
- Sprinkle the dark chocolate shavings on top of the cake.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
This cake is a decadent treat, so indulge in moderation! Here’s the approximate nutritional breakdown per serving (based on 16 servings):
- Calories: 550
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Protein: 5g
- Sugar: 36g
The total time to make this cake is approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes, including baking and chilling time.
- 2 9-inch round cake pans
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Double boiler or microwave
- Cake stand or serving plate
This cake is perfect for any special occasion, such as birthdays, weddings, or holidays. Serve it with a side of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra touch of indulgence.
If you want to mix things up, try adding a layer of fresh berries or sliced bananas between the cake layers. You could also experiment with different types of chocolate, such as milk or dark chocolate, for a unique flavor profile.
If you don’t have access to a cake mix, you can make your own chocolate and white cake from scratch. You can also use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil for a slightly tropical flavor.
This cake should be stored in the refrigerator, covered in plastic wrap or foil, for up to 3 days.
- Be sure to let the cakes cool completely before assembling the layers, or the mousse will melt.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake for clean slices.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
This recipe is inspired by the famous Tuxedo Cake sold at Costco, but it is not an exact replica. However, it is just as delicious and indulgent!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I freeze this cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake for up to 3 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before freezing. To thaw, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this cake up to 2 days in advance. Just be sure to store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
Can I use a different type of frosting instead of the chocolate mousse?
Of course! You can use any type of frosting you prefer, such as buttercream or cream cheese frosting.
The Costco Tuxedo Cake Recipe is a must-try for any dessert lover. With its rich layers of chocolate and vanilla cake, creamy chocolate mousse, and dark chocolate shavings, it’s sure to impress any crowd. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just want to indulge in something sweet, this recipe is the perfect choice. So grab your whisk and get ready to bake a masterpiece!