Crustless Summer Zucchini Pie: A Refreshing and Healthy Delight
Crustless summer zucchini pie is a delightful dish that captures the essence of a sun-kissed garden. Bursting with fresh flavors and wholesome ingredients, this recipe is a perfect choice for those seeking a light and healthy meal. Whether you are a zucchini enthusiast or simply love exploring new recipes, this crustless pie is guaranteed to tantalize your taste buds and keep you coming back for more.
Crustless Summer Zucchini Pie Overview
Loaded with garden-fresh zucchini and a medley of flavorful ingredients, this crustless summer zucchini pie is a standout among summer recipes. The star of the show is undoubtedly the zucchini, which adds a delightful crispness and subtle sweetness to each bite. Paired with a combination of aromatic herbs and spices, creamy cheese, and eggs, this crustless pie is a savory sensation that is both satisfying and nourishing.
Perfect for a light lunch, afternoon snack, or even as part of a weekend brunch spread, this zucchini pie can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature. With its simple preparation and versatile nature, it is an ideal dish for home cooks of all experience levels.
Accommodating Dietary Preferences and Restrictions
This crustless summer zucchini pie is incredibly versatile and can be easily adapted to accommodate various dietary preferences and restrictions. For a vegetarian version, simply omit any meat-based add-ins and opt for vegetable broth or water. To make it gluten-free, replace all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative. Additionally, for a dairy-free option, use plant-based cheeses or omit the cheese altogether.
Feel free to get creative and experiment with different ingredients to suit your taste and dietary needs. Adding mushrooms, bell peppers, or fresh herbs like basil or oregano can elevate the flavors even further. This recipe is all about customization, allowing you to make it your own while still savoring all the deliciousness of the crustless summer zucchini pie.
Cooking Time & Servings
With a preparation time of approximately 15 minutes and a total cooking time of 45 minutes, this crustless summer zucchini pie is a convenient and time-efficient option for those seeking a quick yet satisfying meal. Once baked, it yields approximately 6 servings, making it perfect for sharing with loved ones or enjoying as leftovers for a subsequent meal.
- 2 cups zucchini, grated and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly grease a pie dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated zucchini, cheddar cheese, diced onions, and Parmesan cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vegetable oil, baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried thyme.
- Add the egg mixture to the zucchini mixture and stir until well combined.
- Sift the all-purpose flour over the zucchini mixture and gently fold until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 220
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Sodium: 360mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 10g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 12g
Cooking Time & Servings:
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6
– Pie dish
– Mixing bowls
This crustless summer zucchini pie is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in various ways. Serve it alongside a fresh garden salad for a light and refreshing lunch. Alternatively, pair it with a bowl of homemade tomato soup for a cozy and comforting dinner. For added elegance, garnish each slice with a sprinkle of chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley or chives, to enhance its visual appeal.
– Add cooked bacon or diced ham for a savory twist.
– Replace the cheddar cheese with feta or goat cheese for a tangier flavor.
– Incorporate sautéed mushrooms and bell peppers for added texture and depth.
– Experiment with different herbs and spices, such as rosemary or paprika, to customize the flavor profile.
– To make it gluten-free, use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
– For a vegetarian version, omit any meat-based add-ins and use vegetable broth or water.
– To make it dairy-free, substitute plant-based cheeses or omit the cheese altogether.
To maintain freshness and flavor, store any leftover crustless summer zucchini pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to 3 days. Reheat individual slices in the microwave or enjoy them at room temperature. Freezing is not recommended, as it may affect the texture and overall quality of the pie.
- Be sure to thoroughly drain the grated zucchini to remove excess moisture, as this will prevent the pie from becoming too watery.
- For a crispier crust, lightly grease the pie dish and sprinkle it with breadcrumbs before adding the zucchini mixture.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese to suit your taste preferences. Gruyere, Monterey Jack, or Swiss cheese can be excellent alternatives to cheddar.
- If you prefer a spicier kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the egg mixture.
- This pie pairs well with a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt or a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
- For a heartier meal, serve the pie alongside roasted potatoes or a side of crusty bread.
- This recipe is a delicious way to use up an abundance of zucchini from your garden or local farmers’ market.
- The pie can be made in advance and refrigerated, then reheated in the oven or microwave before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I make this pie without eggs?
A: Unfortunately, eggs are a key binding agent in this recipe and cannot be substituted. However, there are several vegan zucchini pie recipes available that use alternative ingredients to achieve a similar texture.
Q: Can I freeze the leftovers?
A: Freezing this crustless zucchini pie is not recommended, as the excess moisture released during thawing can make the pie soggy. It is best enjoyed fresh or refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Q: Can I use yellow squash instead of zucchini?
A: Absolutely! Yellow squash can be used interchangeably with zucchini in this recipe without affecting the overall taste or texture of the pie.
Q: Can I add other vegetables to the pie?
A: Certainly! Feel free to get creative and add your favorite vegetables to the zucchini mixture. Mushrooms, bell peppers, or even spinach can make wonderful additions.
– Gluten-Free (when using appropriate flour)
In conclusion, this crustless summer zucchini pie is a true culinary gem. Its delicious flavors, ease of preparation, and ability to cater to various dietary preferences make it a must-try recipe. Whether you’re seeking a light and healthy meal or simply want to savor the flavors of summer, this zucchini pie is sure to impress. So gather your freshest zucchini and get ready to indulge in a delightful dish that celebrates the vibrant flavors of the season.
Remember, feel free to put your own spin on this recipe by adding your favorite ingredients or experimenting with different flavors. Don’t be afraid to unleash your creativity in the kitchen and make this crustless summer zucchini pie truly your own. Enjoy the process, embrace the flavors, and savor every last bite!
Thank you for taking the time to explore this recipe. We hope you have a delightful culinary experience and create memories that will last a lifetime. Feel free to share your feedback, experiences, and any suggestions you may have. Happy cooking!
“Food is not just eating energy. It’s an experience.” – Guy Fieri