The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a festive yule log? If you’re looking for a dairy-free option, we’ve got you covered with this delicious vegan recipe. Not only is it free from animal products, but it’s also easy to make and sure to impress your guests. So, let’s get started!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dairy-free butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons dairy-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Optional: fresh berries, mint leaves, or other decorations
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 10 x 15 inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the applesauce, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the bowl and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, beat the dairy-free butter until creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, dairy-free milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and immediately sprinkle powdered sugar over the top.
- Cover the cake with a clean kitchen towel and flip it over onto a flat surface.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper from the cake.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cake, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Starting at one of the short ends, gently roll the cake up, using the towel to help you. Don’t worry if it cracks a little.
- Place the rolled cake onto a serving platter and dust with more powdered sugar.
- Decorate with fresh berries, mint leaves, or any other decorations you like.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
One serving of this dairy-free yule log contains approximately:
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Protein: 2g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 115mg
- Potassium: 70mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 28g
This dairy-free yule log takes about 30 minutes to prepare, plus 12-15 minutes of baking time.
- Large mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer
- Kitchen towel
- Serving platter
This dairy-free yule log makes a beautiful and delicious holiday dessert. Serve it with a dollop of dairy-free whipped cream or a scoop of dairy-free ice cream for an extra treat.
You can customize this dairy-free yule log recipe to your liking by adding different flavors or decorations. Here are a few ideas:
- Add a tablespoon of espresso powder to the cake batter for a mocha flavor.
- Use peppermint extract instead of vanilla in the frosting for a festive twist.
- Top the yule log with shaved dairy-free chocolate, chopped nuts, or coconut flakes.
If you don’t have some of the ingredients on hand, here are a few substitutions you can try:
- You can use any type of non-dairy milk in place of the dairy-free milk.
- Coconut oil or melted vegan butter can be used instead of vegetable oil.
- If you don’t have applesauce, you can use mashed banana or pumpkin puree instead.
- For a gluten-free option, use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend.
This dairy-free yule log can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover it with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out.
- Make sure to roll the cake while it’s still warm to prevent it from cracking.
- Don’t overfill the cake with frosting, or it will be difficult to roll up.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more dairy-free milk a little at a time until it’s spreadable.
This dairy-free yule log recipe is vegan, nut-free, and soy-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this yule log in advance?
Yes, you can make this dairy-free yule log up to 2 days in advance. Store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it.
Can I freeze this yule log?
Yes, you can freeze this dairy-free yule log for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil before freezing. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I use a different type of frosting?
Yes, you can use any type of dairy-free frosting you like. Just make sure it’s spreadable and not too thick.
This dairy-free yule log recipe is a delicious and festive dessert that everyone can enjoy, regardless of dietary restrictions. It’s easy to make, customizable, and sure to impress your guests. So, give it a try this holiday season and let us know what you think!