If you’re a fan of banana bread, you’re going to love this date banana bread recipe. Not only is it a healthier twist on the classic recipe, but the addition of dates adds a rich, caramel-like flavor that will satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s perfect for breakfast, a midday snack, or even dessert. Plus, it’s super easy to make!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup dates, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, chopped dates, eggs, melted coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 slice
Total Time: 1 hour (includes 10 minutes of cooling time)
- Loaf pan
- Mixing bowls
Serve warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt or almond butter for added protein and flavor.
Swap out the dates for raisins, chopped nuts, or chocolate chips for a different twist on this recipe.
- Coconut oil can be swapped for any other oil, such as olive or avocado oil.
- Honey can be swapped for maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Whole wheat flour can be swapped for any other flour, such as all-purpose or almond flour.
Store leftover bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Make sure your bananas are ripe, as this will add natural sweetness to the bread.
- If you don’t have whole wheat flour, you can use all-purpose flour instead.
- To make this recipe vegan, swap out the eggs for flax eggs.
This recipe is a great way to use up ripe bananas and add natural sweetness to your baked goods. Plus, the addition of dates adds a fun twist to the classic recipe. Give it a try!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I freeze this bread?
Yes, you can freeze this bread for up to 3 months. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil before placing it in the freezer. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
Can I use a different sweetener?
Yes, you can use any liquid sweetener you prefer, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Just keep in mind that it may change the flavor slightly.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of whole wheat flour to make this recipe gluten-free.
This date banana bread recipe is a delicious and healthy twist on the classic recipe. The addition of dates adds a rich, caramel-like flavor that pairs perfectly with the banana. Plus, it’s super easy to make and can be enjoyed for breakfast, a midday snack, or even dessert. Give it a try and let me know what you think!