Are you tired of making sugar cookies that spread too much in the oven, ruining your perfectly shaped holiday treats? Fear not! We’ve got an easy and foolproof recipe that will yield delicious and perfectly-shaped sugar cookies every time. Plus, they’re perfect for decorating with festive icing and sprinkles. Let’s get started!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with your favorite icing and sprinkles, and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 cookie
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
Baking time: 8-10 minutes per batch
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Plastic wrap
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
These sugar cookies are perfect for decorating with festive icing and sprinkles. Serve them on a platter at your holiday party or package them up in a cute tin to give as gifts. They also make a great snack with a cup of hot cocoa or tea.
Get creative with your cookie shapes and decorations! Use different cookie cutters and colors of icing to make your sugar cookies unique. You can also add a teaspoon of cinnamon or nutmeg to the dough for a warm and cozy flavor.
If you don’t have unsalted butter, you can use salted butter and omit the 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the recipe. You can also substitute the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour or almond flour for a gluten-free version.
Store your sugar cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the unbaked cookie dough for up to 3 months, or freeze the baked cookies for up to 1 month.
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature for easy creaming.
- Chilling the dough before rolling and cutting will help the cookies keep their shape in the oven.
- Don’t overmix the dough or your cookies will turn out tough.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. This will prevent them from breaking.
- Use a piping bag or a plastic bag with the corner snipped off to pipe the icing onto the cookies.
This recipe makes about 24 cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutters.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make the dough ahead of time?
Yes! You can make the dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before rolling and cutting.
No, you can also roll the dough into balls and flatten them with a glass or the bottom of a measuring cup.
Yes, you can freeze the baked cookies for up to 1 month. Just make sure to let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container or freezer bag.
These easy Christmas sugar cookies are a staple in my holiday baking repertoire. They’re simple to make, yet always turn out perfectly shaped and delicious. I love decorating them with festive icing and sprinkles, and they make a great gift for friends and family. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the deliciousness of the holiday season! In summary, these easy Christmas sugar cookies are the perfect treat for the festive season. They’re simple to make, don’t spread in the oven, and can be decorated in endless ways. The recipe yields delicious and perfectly-shaped cookies that are sure to impress. So why not give it a try for yourself? Happy baking!