The holiday season is upon us and there’s no better way to celebrate than with a delicious yule log. But what about those who can’t have eggs? Fear not, as we’ve got you covered with this egg-free yule log recipe that’s sure to impress!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1 cup vegan whipped cream, for filling and frosting
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a 10×15 inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the warm water until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cake is firm to the touch.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, dust it with powdered sugar and cover it with a clean dish towel.
- Carefully roll the cake up with the towel, starting at the short end.
- Let the cake cool completely while rolled up.
- Once the cake is cool, carefully unroll it and spread vegan whipped cream over the top.
- Roll the cake back up, using the towel to help you, and transfer it to a serving platter.
- Frost the outside of the cake with more vegan whipped cream and decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate the yule log for at least 2 hours before serving.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Total Fat: 16g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrates: 28g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 10×15 inch baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Medium bowl
- Large bowl
- Clean dish towel
- Serving platter
This egg-free yule log is perfect for any holiday gathering or dinner party. Serve it alongside a cup of hot cocoa or coffee for an extra cozy touch.
To add some extra flavor to your yule log, try adding a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the whipped cream filling or frosting. You can also sprinkle crushed candy canes on top for a festive touch.
If you don’t have applesauce on hand, you can substitute it with mashed bananas or pumpkin puree. You can also use any type of non-dairy whipped cream that you prefer.
Store any leftover yule log in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make sure to roll the cake up while it’s still warm to prevent it from cracking.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the yule log for a clean cut.
- For extra decoration, you can dust the top of the yule log with cocoa powder or powdered sugar before serving.
This recipe makes 8-10 servings depending on how thick you slice your yule log.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use regular whipped cream instead of vegan whipped cream? Yes, you can use regular whipped cream if you’re not vegan or dairy-free.
Can I make this yule log ahead of time? Yes, you can make the cake portion of the yule log a day ahead of time and store it in an airtight container until you’re ready to fill and frost it.
Can I freeze this yule log? Yes, you can freeze the unfilled and unfrosted cake portion of the yule log for up to 2 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before filling and frosting.
This egg-free yule log is a delicious and festive treat that’s sure to please everyone at your holiday gathering. It’s easy to make and can be customized with your favorite flavors and decorations. Give it a try and impress your friends and family with your baking skills!