The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious dessert that will leave everyone wanting more? The Harry and David Yule Log Cake is the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your guests. This cake is not only delicious but also visually stunning, resembling a log with snow on it. In this article, we will go over the ingredients, instructions, nutritional information, cooking time, equipment, serving suggestions, variations, substitutions, storage, tips, notes, and frequently asked questions regarding this festive dessert. So, let’s get started!
To make the Harry and David Yule Log Cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, let’s move on to the instructions for making this decadent dessert:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, sift together cocoa powder and salt. Gradually add this mixture to the egg yolk mixture, stirring until well blended.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture, blending well.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Loosen the edges of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto a clean kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar.
- Roll the cake up in the towel, starting with the short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Unroll the cake and spread the cherry preserves over the cake.
- Spread the whipped cream over the cherry preserves.
- Roll the cake up again, using the towel to help you.
- Place the cake seam side down on a serving platter.
- Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here is the nutritional information for one serving (1 slice) of the Harry and David Yule Log Cake:
- Calories: 270
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 125mg
- Sodium: 110mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 33g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 26g
- Protein: 5g
The Harry and David Yule Log Cake takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake.
To make this dessert, you will need the following equipment:
- Electric mixer
- 15x10x1-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
- Clean kitchen towel
- Serving platter
The Harry and David Yule Log Cake is a perfect dessert for any holiday gathering. It can be served alongside a cup of hot cocoa or coffee. For an extra festive touch, you can also add some decorative holiday sprinkles or edible glitter on top.
There are many variations you can make to the Harry and David Yule Log Cake. Here are a few ideas:
- Use raspberry or strawberry preserves instead of cherry preserves for a different flavor.
- Add chopped nuts, such as hazelnuts or almonds, to the whipped cream filling for added texture.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the cake before serving for a decadent touch.
If you don’t have all the ingredients for this recipe, here are some substitutions you can make:
- Instead of cherry preserves, you can use any other flavor that you prefer.
- If you don’t have whipping cream, you can use cool whip or whipped topping.
- Instead of fresh mint leaves, you can use chocolate shavings or cocoa powder for garnish.
The Harry and David Yule Log Cake can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when making the Harry and David Yule Log Cake:
- Be sure to beat the egg yolks until they are thick and lemon-colored. This will give the cake a light and airy texture.
- When folding the egg white mixture into the chocolate mixture, be gentle to avoid deflating the egg whites.
- Use a clean kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar to roll up the cake. This will prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.
The Harry and David Yule Log Cake is a classic holiday dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. It is a perfect combination of chocolate, whipped cream, and cherry preserves, making it a decadent treat that everyone will love.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Harry and David Yule Log Cake:
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this cake up to 1 day ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Can I freeze this cake?
No, this cake is not suitable for freezing.
Can I use a different type of fruit preserve?
Yes, you can use any type of fruit preserve that you prefer.
How many servings does this cake make?
This cake makes approximately 10 servings.
The Harry and David Yule Log Cake is a festive treat that is sure to impress your guests this holiday season. With its rich chocolate flavor, fluffy whipped cream filling, and sweet cherry preserves, it is the perfect dessert to indulge in after a hearty meal. This recipe is easy to follow and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. So, why not give it a try and see for yourself how delicious it is? Happy baking!