Are you looking for a showstopper dessert to impress your guests this holiday season? Look no further than this Hazelnut Yule Log Recipe! This classic French dessert, also known as a Bûche de Noël, is a festive and delicious cake that resembles a log. With its rich chocolate cake and creamy hazelnut filling, this dessert is sure to be a hit at any holiday gathering.
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hazelnut spread
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 15×10-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and pale yellow. Stir in the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- While the cake is baking, make the hazelnut filling. In a medium bowl, whisk together the hazelnut spread and heavy cream until smooth. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts.
- When the cake is done, immediately turn it out onto a clean kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Remove the parchment paper and roll the cake up in the towel, starting at the short end. Allow to cool completely.
- Unroll the cake and spread the hazelnut filling evenly over the surface. Roll the cake up again and transfer to a serving platter. Dust with additional confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Time: 2 hours (includes baking, cooling, and chilling time)
- 15×10-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Clean kitchen towel
- Serving platter
This Hazelnut Yule Log pairs perfectly with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Serve slices with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.
If you don’t have hazelnut spread on hand, feel free to substitute with another nut butter like peanut or almond. You can also swap out the hazelnuts for another type of nut, such as chopped almonds or pecans.
If you’re looking to make this recipe a bit healthier, you can substitute the heavy cream in the filling with Greek yogurt or whipped coconut cream. You can also use a sugar substitute like stevia or erythritol in place of the granulated sugar.
This Hazelnut Yule Log can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Make sure to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form for the lightest and fluffiest cake.
- Don’t skip dusting the kitchen towel with confectioners’ sugar before rolling up the cake – this will prevent it from sticking and tearing.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before spreading the filling on top to prevent it from melting and becoming too runny.
This recipe makes one large Hazelnut Yule Log, but you can easily double it to make two if you’re feeding a larger crowd.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is hazelnut spread?
Hazelnut spread is a sweet and creamy spread made from roasted hazelnuts and chocolate. The most popular brand is Nutella, but there are many other varieties available at most grocery stores.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! You can make the cake and filling up to 2 days in advance and store them separately in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, simply assemble the cake and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Can I freeze this cake?
Yes, this Hazelnut Yule Log can be frozen for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
This Hazelnut Yule Log Recipe is the perfect dessert to serve during the holiday season. With its rich chocolate cake and creamy hazelnut filling, it’s sure to impress your guests and satisfy any sweet tooth. Don’t be intimidated by the fancy appearance – with a little bit of patience and some careful rolling, anyone can make this stunning dessert. Give it a try and enjoy!