There’s nothing quite like the holiday season. The twinkling lights, the cozy decorations, and of course, the delicious treats. If you’re looking for a show-stopping dessert to impress your friends and family, look no further than the Holiday Baking Championship 2022 Yule Log. This festive cake is filled with rich chocolate ganache and covered in a fluffy, buttery frosting that will leave your taste buds singing with joy.
- For the cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the ganache:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Green and red food coloring (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the water and vanilla extract to the egg mixture and beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cake is set and springs back when lightly touched.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a clean kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
- Carefully peel off the parchment paper and roll up the cake in the towel, starting from the short end. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the ganache. In a medium heatproof bowl, place the chopped chocolate. In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream until just simmering. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth and let cool to room temperature.
- Make the frosting. In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Add green and red food coloring, if desired.
- Carefully unroll the cooled cake and spread the ganache evenly over the surface, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. Roll the cake back up and place seam-side down on a serving platter.
- Spread the frosting over the entire surface of the cake, using a spatula to create a bark-like texture. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serving size: 1 slice (1/12th of cake)
Total Fat: 27g
Saturated Fat: 16g
Total Carbohydrates: 58g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Total time: 2 hours
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cool time: 1 hour
- 15×10-inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer
- Medium and large mixing bowls
- Small saucepan
- Heatproof bowl
- Wire rack
- Serving platter
This Yule Log cake is the perfect dessert for any holiday gathering. Serve it with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee for the ultimate cozy experience.
For a twist on the classic Yule Log, try adding different flavors to the cake batter or ganache. Peppermint extract or orange zest would be delicious additions.
If you don’t have heavy cream for the ganache, you can use whole milk or half-and-half instead. For the frosting, you can use margarine or shortening instead of butter if you prefer.
This cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Let it come to room temperature before serving.
- Make sure to roll the cake tightly in the towel while it’s still warm, so it will hold its shape when unrolled later.
- Let the ganache cool to room temperature before spreading it on the cake, or it may melt the frosting.
- Use a toothpick or skewer to create texture in the frosting to make it look like bark.
This recipe makes a large cake, so if you’re serving a smaller group, you can cut the recipe in half and use a smaller pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze this cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil before freezing.
Can I use a different type of frosting?
Yes, you can use any type of frosting you like. Cream cheese frosting or whipped cream would be delicious options.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this cake up to 2 days in advance. Keep it refrigerated until ready to serve.
The Holiday Baking Championship 2022 Yule Log is truly a show-stopping dessert. Not only does it look impressive, but it tastes delicious too. The rich chocolate cake and ganache are perfectly balanced by the light, buttery frosting. This cake is sure to be a hit at any holiday gathering.
If you’re looking for a fun and festive dessert to make this holiday season, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. It may look intimidating, but with a little patience and attention to detail, you can create a beautiful and delicious Yule Log cake that will impress your friends and family.