Yule log cake, also known as Buche de Noel, is a classic dessert that originated in France. This festive cake resembles a log and is traditionally served during the Christmas season. While the cake itself may seem intimidating to make, decorating it can be a fun and creative activity for the whole family. In this article, we will show you how to decorate a Yule log cake in a fun and easy way!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Assorted holiday candies, such as candy canes, gumdrops, and sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a jelly roll pan.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Place a clean kitchen towel on top of the cake and invert it onto the towel. Carefully remove the pan and peel off the parchment paper.
- Starting at the short end, roll the cake and towel together tightly. Place the rolled cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl, mix the chocolate frosting, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Once the cake has cooled, carefully unroll it and spread the frosting evenly over the surface.
- Roll the cake back up, using the towel to help you. Place the cake seam-side down on a serving platter.
- Use a butter knife to make diagonal lines across the surface of the cake, creating a bark-like texture.
- Decorate the cake with assorted holiday candies, such as candy canes, gumdrops, and sprinkles. Have fun and be creative!
Servings: 12 slices
Calories per serving: 420
Total Fat: 23g
Saturated Fat: 6g
Total Carbohydrates: 53g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- Jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Clean kitchen towel
- Wire rack
- Large bowl
- Butter knife
- Serving platter
This Yule log cake is a perfect dessert for holiday gatherings and Christmas dinner. Serve it with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee for a cozy and festive treat.
For a twist on the classic Yule log cake, try using different cake flavors and frosting combinations. You can also experiment with different decorations, such as fresh berries, edible flowers, or chocolate shavings.
- You can use homemade chocolate cake instead of a boxed mix.
- If you don’t have chocolate frosting, you can use vanilla frosting and add cocoa powder to it.
- You can use milk or half-and-half instead of heavy cream.
Store any leftover Yule log cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Be sure to roll the cake tightly to prevent cracking.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting it.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake for a clean and even slice.
This recipe makes a classic chocolate Yule log cake, but you can customize it to your liking with different cake and frosting flavors, as well as decorations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Yule log cake?
A Yule log cake is a traditional Christmas dessert that originated in France. It is a sponge cake rolled into a log shape and decorated to resemble a wooden log.
What is the history of the Yule log cake?
The Yule log cake has its roots in pagan winter solstice celebrations, where a large log was burned to ward off evil spirits and bring good luck for the coming year. In the 19th century, the tradition was adapted into a dessert, with the log-shaped cake symbolizing the burning of the Yule log.
Can I make a Yule log cake in advance?
Yes, you can make the cake and frosting in advance and store them separately in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve the cake, simply frost and decorate it.
Decorating a Yule log cake is a fun and festive activity that can bring holiday cheer to your home. This recipe is easy to follow and allows for plenty of creativity when it comes to decorations. Whether you’re serving it at a holiday gathering or enjoying it with your family, this Yule log cake is sure to be a hit. So grab your apron and get ready to make a delicious and beautiful dessert!