The Ingredients You’ll Need
To make your yule log cake, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
Instructions for Rolling a Yule Log Cake
Now that you have your ingredients, it’s time to get started on your yule log cake. Follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan and line it with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper as well.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and granulated sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and fold together gently until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared jelly roll pan and spread it out evenly. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cake is puffed and set.
- While the cake is baking, place a clean kitchen towel on a flat surface and dust it with powdered sugar.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and immediately invert it onto the prepared towel. Peel off the parchment paper carefully.
- Starting at the short end of the cake, gently roll it up with the towel inside. Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the filling. In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- When the cake is completely cool, unroll it carefully and spread the raspberry jam evenly over the surface. Top with the fresh raspberries.
- Spread the whipped cream over the jam and raspberries, leaving a small border around the edge.
- Gently roll the cake back up, starting at the short end. Place it seam-side down on a serving platter.
- Dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar and decorate with additional raspberries, if desired. Serve chilled.
This yule log cake recipe makes about 10 servings. Each serving contains approximately:
- Calories: 235
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 120mg
Cooking Time and Equipment Needed
This recipe takes about 30 minutes of active preparation time and 10-12 minutes of baking time. You’ll need the following equipment:
- 15×10-inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer
- Clean kitchen towel
- Wire rack
- Serving platter
Serving Suggestions and Variations
This yule log cake is a festive and impressive dessert that’s perfect for holiday gatherings. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cocoa powder for an extra special touch. You can also experiment with different fillings and flavors. Try substituting the raspberry jam and fresh raspberries with strawberry jam and sliced strawberries, or use chocolate ganache instead of whipped cream.
Substitutions and Storage
If you don’t have raspberry jam on hand, you can use any other flavor of jam that you prefer. This yule log cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep it covered to prevent it from drying out.
Tips and Notes
When rolling up the cake, be gentle and take your time to avoid cracking or tearing the cake. You can make the cake and filling ahead of time and assemble it just before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze this yule log cake? Yes, you can freeze this yule log cake for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before serving. Can I use a different type of fruit for the filling? Yes, you can use any type of fruit that you prefer for the filling. Just make sure that it’s sliced thinly and evenly so that it rolls up nicely.
Personal Thoughts and Conclusion
Rolling a yule log cake may seem intimidating, but with this recipe, it’s actually quite easy and fun! The combination of rich chocolate cake, tart raspberry jam, and fluffy whipped cream is simply irresistible. I hope you enjoy making and sharing this yule log cake with your loved ones this holiday season. Happy baking!