Hummingbird Cake with Cake Mix: The Perfect Combination for a Delicious Treat
Are you in the mood for a moist and flavorful cake that is easy to make? Look no further than hummingbird cake with cake mix! This delightful dessert combines the tropical flavors of bananas, pineapple, and pecans with a hint of spice, all brought together in a convenient cake mix package. The result is a heavenly treat that will leave you coming back for seconds.
Hummingbird Cake with Cake Mix Overview
If you’re not familiar with hummingbird cake, let us give you a quick summary. This delectable dessert is often referred to as a Southern classic, and for good reason. It features a rich and moist cake loaded with the goodness of ripe bananas, tangy crushed pineapple, and crunchy pecans. The addition of a cake mix makes the preparation a breeze, allowing you to enjoy this cake without spending hours in the kitchen. It’s the perfect recipe for those who want a homemade taste without all the fuss.
Now, let’s dive into the specifics of what makes this hummingbird cake with cake mix so special. Starting with the cake mix itself, you’ll find a combination of all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and other essential ingredients. This forms the base of the cake and provides the perfect texture and sweetness. To enhance the tropical flavors, ripe mashed bananas and crushed pineapple are added. These ingredients not only add moisture but infuse the cake with a delightful fruity taste. Finally, chopped pecans are mixed in for a satisfying crunch and earthy undertones.
What makes this recipe even more versatile is the ability to make substitutions or variations to accommodate different dietary preferences or restrictions. If you’re watching your sugar intake, you can use a sugar-free cake mix and replace the crushed pineapple with unsweetened applesauce. For a gluten-free option, simply swap out the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. The possibilities are endless, allowing you to customize the recipe to suit your needs.
When it comes to serving the hummingbird cake with cake mix, you can let your creativity shine. It pairs well with a cream cheese frosting, which beautifully complements the flavors of the cake. For an extra touch, you can garnish the cake with additional pecans or sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. Whether you enjoy it as a special dessert for a celebration or as an everyday indulgence, this cake is sure to please.
To make the recipe even more convenient, the cooking time for this hummingbird cake is just under an hour. Once baked, it yields about 12 servings, making it perfect for sharing with friends and family. Each slice is a mini tropical escape, transporting you to a paradise of flavors.
- 1 box of cake mix (yellow or white)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, mashed bananas, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans, eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, frost the cake with your favorite cream cheese frosting and garnish with additional pecans if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 350
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 280mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 45g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 26g
- Protein: 4g
Cooking Time & Servings:
The cooking time for this hummingbird cake with cake mix is approximately 30-35 minutes. It will yield around 12 servings.
To make this hummingbird cake with cake mix, you’ll need the following equipment:
- 9×13-inch baking pan
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Electric mixer (optional)
When serving this delightful cake, consider pairing it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. The creamy and cool elements will beautifully contrast with the warmth and richness of the cake. Additionally, you can top each slice with a drizzle of caramel sauce for an extra touch of indulgence. For a more elegant presentation, dust the cake with powdered sugar or sprinkle some finely chopped pecans on top. Let your creativity flow and experiment with different garnishes to create the perfect plate.
While the hummingbird cake with cake mix is already a delicious treat, there are countless variations you can explore to add your own personal touch. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Add a handful of shredded coconut to the batter for an extra tropical twist.
- Replace the chopped pecans with walnuts or almonds for a different flavor profile.
- Mix in a teaspoon of lemon zest to add a refreshing citrus note to the cake.
- Create a layered version by making two cakes and spreading a cream cheese frosting in between the layers.
If you have specific dietary restrictions or preferences, don’t worry! You can easily make substitutions in this recipe:
- For a gluten-free version, use a gluten-free cake mix and gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- If you’re avoiding refined sugar, opt for a sugar-free cake mix and replace the crushed pineapple with unsweetened applesauce.
- To make the cake dairy-free, use a non-dairy cake mix, replace the eggs with a vegan egg substitute, and use a dairy-free cream cheese frosting.
To keep your hummingbird cake with cake mix fresh and flavorful, follow these storage recommendations:
- At room temperature: Store the cake in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
- In the refrigerator: If you live in a warm climate or want to extend the cake’s shelf life, refrigerate it. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container. It will last for up to a week.
- In the freezer: To enjoy the cake at a later time, wrap individual slices or the whole cake in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe container or bag. It will keep well for up to 3 months.
Here are some handy tips and tricks to ensure your hummingbird cake with cake mix turns out perfectly:
- Make sure your bananas are ripe. Ripe bananas provide a stronger and sweeter flavor to the cake.
- Drain the crushed pineapple well to avoid excess moisture in the batter.
- If you don’t have pecans, you can substitute them with your preferred nuts, such as walnuts or almonds.
- Use an electric mixer to make the mixing process easier and more efficient.
Here are a few additional notes to consider when making this hummingbird cake with cake mix:
- For a festive touch, decorate the cake with dried pineapple rings, edible flowers, or a sprinkle of edible gold dust.
- This recipe can also be used to make cupcakes instead of a full cake. Simply adjust the baking time accordingly.
- For a fun twist, try adding a tablespoon of rum to the batter to give the cake a hint of tropical indulgence.
- To make the recipe suitable for a holiday gathering, top the cake with a cream cheese frosting decorated with red and green sprinkles.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Q: Can I use a different flavor of cake mix?
- A: Absolutely! While the traditional hummingbird cake is made with a yellow or white cake mix, feel free to experiment with other flavors, such as spice cake or even chocolate.
- Q: Can I make this cake in advance?
- A: Yes, you can make the cake in advance. Simply store it in the refrigerator or freezer following the storage recommendations provided.
- Q: Can I use fresh pineapple instead of crushed pineapple?
- A: Fresh pineapple can be used as a substitute for crushed pineapple, but make sure to finely chop it or crush it to achieve a similar consistency.
- Q: Can I skip the nuts if I have an allergy?
- A: Of course! If you or someone you’re serving has a nut allergy, you can omit the nuts from the recipe or replace them with seeds, such as pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
This hummingbird cake with cake mix recipe falls under the following categories:
- Easy Recipes
- Tropical Flavors
This recipe is suitable for all seasons, but it particularly shines during spring and summer when the tropical flavors are most refreshing.
In conclusion, hummingbird cake with cake mix is truly a delight for the senses. Its combination of fruity flavors, moist texture, and ease of preparation make it a standout dessert for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply treating yourself, this cake is sure to impress. With the ability to make variations and substitutions, it caters to a wide range of dietary needs and preferences. So why wait? Try this heavenly cake and let your taste buds take flight!
So go ahead and give this recipe a try. You’ll be amazed at how the flavors come together effortlessly and create a truly memorable dessert. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make it your own. Add your personal touch and watch as your guests are left craving more. Enjoy the process of baking and savor every bite of this delicious hummingbird cake with cake mix!
Thank you for taking the time to explore this recipe. We hope you enjoy preparing and savoring the dish as much as we do. If you have any feedback, suggestions, or personal experiences to share, we would love to hear from you. Happy baking!
“The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating.”
– John Walters