As the holiday season approaches, it’s time to start thinking about festive treats to share with family and friends. One classic dessert that never fails to impress is a Yule log, or Buche de Noel. And when it comes to Yule logs, few recipes are as renowned as Jacques Pepin’s. In this article, we’ll take a look at how to make this delicious dessert step-by-step, along with some tips, variations, and serving suggestions.
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper; grease the paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and light yellow. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt over the egg mixture; fold in until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly to edges of pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately loosen edges of cake from pan and turn cake out onto a clean kitchen towel sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar. Remove parchment paper. Starting from a short side, roll up towel and cake; cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Unroll cake; spread jam evenly over cake. Spread whipped cream over jam. Roll up cake without towel; trim ends. Transfer to a platter, seam side down. Chill until ready to serve. Dust with additional confectioners’ sugar just before serving.
Each serving of Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log contains approximately:
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
- Sodium: 150mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 35g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 26g
- Protein: 6g
Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log takes approximately 45 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to bake.
- Electric mixer
- Baking pan
- Parchment paper
- Kitchen towel
- Wire rack
Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log is a perfect dessert for any holiday gathering. Serve it alongside a cup of hot cocoa or coffee for a cozy and festive treat.
There are endless ways to customize Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log to your liking. Here are a few ideas:
- Substitute the raspberry jam for your favorite flavor.
- Add chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the whipped cream filling.
- Decorate the Yule log with meringue mushrooms or sugared cranberries for an extra festive touch.
If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, here are some substitutions you can make:
- Use any flavor of jam or preserves instead of raspberry.
- Substitute whipped topping for the homemade whipped cream.
- Use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour for a gluten-free version.
Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make sure to beat the eggs and sugar for the full 5 minutes to ensure a light and fluffy cake.
- When rolling up the cake, be sure to do it while it’s still warm to prevent cracking.
- Chill the whipped cream filling before spreading it on the cake to make it easier to work with.
This recipe makes 10 servings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log up to 2 days in advance. Store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Can I freeze the Yule Log?
Yes, you can freeze Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log for up to 1 month. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I use a different type of jam?
Yes, you can use any flavor of jam or preserves that you like.
Jacques Pepin’s Yule Log is a delicious and festive dessert that’s sure to impress your holiday guests. With its rich chocolate cake, sweet raspberry jam, and creamy whipped cream filling, it’s a treat that’s hard to resist. Whether you follow the recipe as written or customize it to your liking, this Yule log is sure to be a hit. So why not give it a try this holiday season?