The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious and festive treat? This kids yule log recipe is not only tasty, but it’s also a fun activity that the whole family can enjoy. So put on your aprons and let’s get started!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Candy decorations of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and water. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- While the cake is still warm, gently roll it up from one end to the other with the help of a towel. Let it cool completely in this rolled-up position.
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting. In a mixing bowl, combine the chocolate frosting, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, butter, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Unroll the cake and spread the frosting evenly over it. Roll it back up and place it seam-side down on a serving platter.
- Decorate the yule log with candy decorations of your choice. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 slice
Total Fat: 15g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Carbohydrates: 38g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 10×15 inch jelly roll pan
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Serving platter
This kids yule log recipe is perfect for holiday parties or as a dessert after a special family dinner. Serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream for an extra special treat.
You can use any flavor of cake mix or frosting that you like for this recipe. Try using vanilla cake mix with strawberry frosting for a fun twist. You can also add chopped nuts or dried fruit to the frosting for extra texture and flavor.
If you don’t have a boxed cake mix, you can make your own from scratch using flour, sugar, baking powder, and cocoa powder. You can also use store-bought frosting instead of making your own.
Store any leftover yule log in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Be sure to roll the cake gently while it’s still warm to avoid cracking.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting it to avoid melting the frosting.
- Use candy decorations that are small and lightweight to avoid weighing down the cake.
This recipe makes 12 servings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze the yule log?
Yes, you can freeze the yule log for up to 1 month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container before freezing.
Can I use a different size pan?
No, it’s important to use a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan for this recipe to ensure that the cake bakes evenly and rolls up properly.
Can I make the yule log ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the yule log up to 1 day ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it.
This kids yule log recipe is not only delicious, but it’s also a fun activity that the whole family can enjoy. I love the festive look of the candy decorations, and the chocolate cake and frosting are a match made in heaven. This is a perfect dessert for any holiday gathering, and I can’t wait to make it again!
In summary, this kids yule log recipe is a fun and delicious holiday treat that’s perfect for any occasion. With simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, it’s a great activity to do with kids and a tasty dessert for everyone to enjoy. So put on your aprons and get baking!