The holiday season is finally here, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious and festive dessert? Introducing the La Madeleine Yule Log, a classic French dessert that is sure to impress your guests and satisfy your sweet tooth. This dessert is not only visually stunning but also incredibly delicious, with its rich chocolate sponge cake, creamy filling, and decadent chocolate ganache. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of making this indulgent dessert, along with some helpful tips and variations.
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined jelly roll pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- While the cake is still warm, roll it up tightly in a clean kitchen towel. Let cool completely.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- Unroll the cake and spread the whipped cream mixture evenly over the surface.
- Carefully roll the cake back up, using the towel to help you roll it tightly. Place it seam-side down on a serving platter.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the rolled cake, using a spatula to spread it evenly over the surface.
- Let the cake sit at room temperature until the ganache has set, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, cocoa powder, or fresh berries, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: 1 slice
Total Fat: 22g
Saturated Fat: 13g
Total Carbohydrates: 29g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Resting Time: 48 minutes
- Jelly roll pan
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Clean kitchen towel
The La Madeleine Yule Log is a show-stopping dessert that is perfect for any festive occasion. Serve it as the centerpiece of your holiday dessert table or enjoy it as a special treat with your loved ones. Pair it with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee for the ultimate indulgence.
The La Madeleine Yule Log is a versatile dessert that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Here are some variations to try:
- Swap the semisweet chocolate chips for white chocolate or dark chocolate for a different flavor profile.
- Add a layer of fruit preserves or Nutella to the whipped cream filling for an extra burst of flavor.
- Top the chocolate ganache with chopped nuts, sprinkles, or edible gold dust for a festive touch.
If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, here are some substitutions you can make:
- Use all-purpose flour instead of cake flour.
- Use granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar.
- Use milk or half-and-half instead of heavy cream.
- Use margarine or coconut oil instead of butter.
The La Madeleine Yule Log can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out. Allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
- Make sure to grease and line your jelly roll pan to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Roll the cake tightly in the kitchen towel while it is still warm to prevent cracking.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the whipped cream filling to prevent it from melting.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the cake for a clean cut.
The La Madeleine Yule Log is a traditional French dessert that is typically served during the Christmas season. It is named after the famous French bakery chain La Madeleine, which is known for its delicious pastries and baked goods.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I freeze the La Madeleine Yule Log?
A: Yes, you can freeze the rolled cake before adding the ganache. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before adding the ganache.
Q: Can I use a different type of filling?
A: Yes, you can use any type of filling you like, such as whipped cream cheese, chocolate mousse, or fruit curd.
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make the cake and filling ahead of time and store them separately in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Assemble the cake and add the ganache just before serving.
The La Madeleine Yule Log is a beautiful and delicious dessert that is perfect for the holiday season. I love how the rich chocolate sponge cake pairs perfectly with the creamy whipped cream filling and decadent chocolate ganache. This recipe is easy to follow and yields impressive results that are sure to impress your guests. I highly recommend giving it a try this holiday season!