Get ready to indulge in a cake that’s bursting with fruity flavors! Leo’s Strawberry Banana Cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party or simply looking for a sweet treat, this dessert is sure to impress.
In this recipe blog, we’ll guide you through the step-by-step process of making this delicious cake. We’ll cover everything from the ingredients to the equipment you’ll need, as well as variations and tips to help you create the perfect cake. So, let’s get started!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium banana)
- 1/2 cup mashed strawberries (about 6-8 medium strawberries)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and prepare a 9-inch cake pan by greasing it and lining it with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Add in the mashed banana and strawberries and mix until well combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk, until the batter is smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Servings: 8 slices
Calories per serving: 312
Saturated fat: 8g
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 35-40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 9-inch cake pan
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cooling rack
Leo’s Strawberry Banana Cake is best served chilled. Top it with whipped cream and fresh berries for an extra fruity twist. Serve it alongside a cup of coffee or tea for the perfect afternoon snack.
If you’re looking to switch things up, consider trying out these variations:
- Replace strawberries with raspberries or blueberries for a different flavor profile.
- Add chopped nuts, like walnuts or pecans, to the batter for a crunchy texture.
- Top the cake with a cream cheese frosting for added richness.
If you don’t have all of the ingredients on hand, here are some substitutions you can make:
- Use sour cream or yogurt instead of buttermilk.
- Replace the mashed banana with applesauce or pumpkin puree.
- Swap out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour.
Store the cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply let it sit at room temperature for a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature before creaming it with the sugar. This will ensure a smooth and even texture in your cake.
- Be sure to mash the strawberries and banana well to avoid any large chunks in the batter.
- Don’t overmix the batter once you’ve added the dry ingredients. This can result in a tough and dense cake.
This recipe makes one 9-inch cake. If you want to make a larger or smaller cake, adjust the amounts of ingredients accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen strawberries instead of fresh?
Yes, you can use frozen strawberries in this recipe. Just make sure to thaw them completely and drain any excess liquid before mashing them.
Can I use a different type of fruit?
Yes, you can experiment with different types of fruit in this recipe. Just keep in mind that the texture and flavor of the cake may be different.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this cake ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to serve it.
Leo’s Strawberry Banana Cake is a delightful dessert that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors make it a refreshing treat that everyone will love. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different fruits or toppings to create your own unique version of this cake. So, what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think!