Mixed Berry Pound Cake
Are you craving a delectable dessert that combines the sweet and tangy flavors of fresh berries with the rich and buttery goodness of a pound cake? Look no further than the irresistible Mixed Berry Pound Cake. This delightful treat is the perfect balance of fruity and indulgent, making it a crowd-pleaser for any occasion.
Mixed Berry Pound Cake Overview
This Mixed Berry Pound Cake is a moist and tender dessert that showcases the natural sweetness of mixed berries. Bursting with flavor, this cake is made with a combination of juicy strawberries, plump blueberries, and tart raspberries, which are mixed into the batter to create a colorful and vibrant treat. The addition of lemon zest adds a refreshing citrusy note that complements the sweetness of the berries perfectly.
With a rich and buttery texture, this pound cake is made using a traditional recipe that calls for staple ingredients such as flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, and vanilla extract. The cake batter is infused with the essence of vanilla, creating a delightful aroma that fills the kitchen as the cake bakes to perfection.
The beauty of this recipe is its versatility. If you have dietary preferences or restrictions, you can easily adapt the recipe to suit your needs. For a gluten-free version, simply substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. If you prefer a dairy-free option, replace the butter with a plant-based margarine or coconut oil. The result will still be a delicious Mixed Berry Pound Cake that satisfies your cravings.
Now let’s talk about the cooking time and servings. This recipe requires a total baking time of about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Once the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, it’s ready to be taken out of the oven. This recipe yields approximately 8 to 10 servings, making it an ideal dessert for a small gathering or family celebration.
- 2 cups mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
- Gently fold in the mixed berries and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve your mouthwatering Mixed Berry Pound Cake. Enjoy!
- Calories: 300
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 150mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 37g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 20g
- Protein: 5g
Cooking Time & Servings:
The Mixed Berry Pound Cake requires approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes of baking time. This allows the cake to cook through and develop a golden crust while maintaining a moist interior. It yields about 8 to 10 servings, perfect for sharing with loved ones or savoring throughout the week.
To prepare this delightful Mixed Berry Pound Cake, you will need a few essential kitchen tools:
- 9×5-inch loaf pan
- Mixing bowls
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Wire rack
- Measuring cups and spoons
The best way to enjoy this scrumptious Mixed Berry Pound Cake is to serve it as a standalone dessert, allowing its flavors to shine. However, if you’d like to enhance the overall experience, consider pairing it with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The creamy and slightly sweet accompaniment will complement the cake’s fruity notes and add a delightful contrast in textures.
Garnish your plated slices of pound cake with a sprig of fresh mint or a dusting of powdered sugar to add a touch of elegance and visual appeal. For a more indulgent serving suggestion, drizzle a homemade berry sauce over the cake slices, letting it seep into each bite, creating a burst of fruity goodness with every mouthful.
This Mixed Berry Pound Cake is incredibly versatile, allowing you to experiment with various flavors and textures. Here are a few ideas to inspire your creativity:
- Add a handful of white chocolate chips to the batter for a delightful burst of creamy sweetness.
- Swap the mixed berries with your favorite combination, such as raspberries and blackberries or strawberries and blueberries.
- For a citrus twist, substitute the lemon zest with orange zest.
If you have dietary restrictions, allergies, or personal preferences, fear not! This Mixed Berry Pound Cake can be adapted to suit your needs:
- Gluten-free: Replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- Dairy-free: Substitute the butter with a plant-based margarine or coconut oil.
- Vegetarian: This recipe is already vegetarian-friendly.
To maintain the freshness and flavor of your Mixed Berry Pound Cake, follow these storage recommendations:
- Room temperature: Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Refrigerator: If you need to store the cake for a longer period, place it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, ensuring it is well-wrapped to prevent it from drying out.
- Freezer: This cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. Allow it to cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight freezer bag or container.
Follow these tips to enhance your baking experience and achieve the best results with your Mixed Berry Pound Cake:
- Bring the butter to room temperature before beginning the recipe to ensure easy mixing and a fluffy texture.
- Coat the mixed berries in a dusting of flour before folding them into the batter. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake during baking.
- For a burst of freshness, squeeze a little lemon juice over the sliced berries before adding them to the batter.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing to ensure it holds its shape and doesn’t crumble.
Here are some additional notes and important information to consider for your Mixed Berry Pound Cake:
- Serve the cake at room temperature or slightly warmed for the best flavor and texture.
- Consider dusting the freshly baked cake with powdered sugar just before serving to add a touch of elegance.
- If you have any leftover pound cake, repurpose it by toasting slices and serving them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe is suitable for spring and summer when fresh berries are in season and readily available.
In conclusion, the Mixed Berry Pound Cake is a delightful dessert that combines the irresistible flavors of fresh berries with the comforting richness of a pound cake. The vibrant burst of berry goodness beautifully complements the buttery texture, creating a harmonious and indulgent treat. Whether you’re serving it for a special occasion or enjoying a slice with your afternoon tea, this recipe is guaranteed to impress and satisfy your sweet tooth.
So why not give it a try? Follow the simple steps, get creative with your variations if desired, and indulge in the scrumptious flavors of this Mixed Berry Pound Cake. Your taste buds will thank you!
If you make this recipe, we’d love to hear about your experience. Feel free to share your feedback, suggestions, and any interesting twists you’ve added to make this dessert truly your own. Enjoy the process of baking and savor every bite of this delightful Mixed Berry Pound Cake!
“Food is our common ground, a universal experience.”
– James Beard