It’s that time of the year again when we all crave for warm and cozy desserts to celebrate the holiday season. Yule log is one such dessert that has become a Christmas tradition in many households. The moist cake, rolled and decorated to look like a log, is a treat for both the eyes and taste buds. If you’re looking to bake something special this holiday season, try out this moist yule log recipe.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 10×15 inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gradually fold in the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched.
- Sift the powdered sugar onto a clean kitchen towel and invert the cake onto the towel.
- Peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up tightly in the towel while still warm.
- Let the cake cool completely in the towel.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Unroll the cake and spread the raspberry jam evenly over the surface.
- Spoon the whipped cream over the jam and sprinkle with chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Gently roll the cake up again, using the towel to help you create a tight roll.
- Place the cake on a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Saturated Fat: 9g
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Electric mixer
- 10×15 inch jelly roll pan
- Parchment paper
- Clean kitchen towel
- Serving platter
Serve the moist yule log with a cup of hot cocoa or coffee. You can also decorate it with fresh berries or chocolate shavings for an extra festive touch.
You can swap the raspberry jam with strawberry jam or apricot jam. You can also use other nuts such as pecans or almonds instead of walnuts.
You can use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour to make this recipe gluten-free. You can also use coconut cream instead of heavy cream for a dairy-free version.
The yule log can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover it with plastic wrap or foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Make sure to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form for a light and fluffy cake.
- Roll the cake up tightly in the towel while still warm to create a tight roll.
- Let the cake cool completely before adding the whipped cream to prevent it from melting.
This recipe yields 10-12 servings. The nutritional information is an estimate and may vary depending on the ingredients used.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make the yule log ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the yule log up to a day ahead of time. Store it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Can I freeze the yule log?
Yes, you can freeze the yule log for up to a month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and foil before freezing. Thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I use a different flavor of jam?
Yes, you can use any flavor of jam you like. Just make sure it’s a thick and spreadable consistency.
This moist yule log recipe is the perfect dessert to celebrate the holiday season. The soft and fluffy cake, combined with the sweet raspberry jam and whipped cream, is a treat for the taste buds. It’s also a showstopper on the dessert table with its festive appearance. You can easily customize it by using different flavors of jam or nuts. Give it a try and impress your guests with your baking skills.