Are you looking for a fun and flavorful twist on a classic dessert? Look no further than this delicious orange poppy seed cake recipe! Bursting with tangy citrus flavor and the crunch of poppy seeds, this cake is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth and impress your family and friends. So why wait? Grab your apron and get ready to whip up a batch of this delicious cake today!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and eggs together until light and fluffy. Add the orange juice, orange zest, and poppy seeds, and mix well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, remove the cake from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.
- Slice and serve!
- Calories: 254
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Sodium: 194mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 34g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 22g
- Protein: 3g
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
- 9-inch cake pan
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer (optional)
- Cooking spray or butter
- Wire rack
This orange poppy seed cake is delicious on its own, but you can also serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat. Or, if you want to get really fancy, you can top each slice with a dollop of mascarpone cheese and a sprinkle of orange zest!
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try adding some chopped nuts, such as walnuts or almonds, to the batter for some extra crunch. You can also swap out the orange juice and zest for lemon or lime, or even grapefruit, for a different citrus twist.
If you don’t have poppy seeds on hand, you can use sesame seeds or chia seeds instead. And if you’re out of fresh oranges, you can use bottled orange juice and store-bought orange zest instead.
This cake will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for longer storage – just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature before you start – this will help them blend together more easily and create a lighter, fluffier cake.
- Don’t overmix your batter – this can make your cake tough and dry. Mix until just combined, then stop.
- Use fresh oranges for the best flavor – bottled juice and zest just won’t cut it!
This recipe makes 8-10 servings, depending on how large you slice your cake. It’s perfect for a small dinner party or gathering, or just as a special treat for yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use a different type of flour?
A: Yes, you can use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend if you prefer. Just keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be slightly different.
Q: Can I use a bundt pan instead of a cake pan?
A: Yes, but you may need to adjust the baking time – bundt cakes can take longer to bake than regular cakes.
Q: Can I make this cake ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can bake the cake a day or two in advance and store it in an airtight container at room temperature. Just wait to add the glaze until right before serving.
This orange poppy seed cake recipe is a delicious and fun twist on a classic dessert. It’s easy to make, bursting with tangy citrus flavor and the crunch of poppy seeds, and perfect for any occasion. So why not give it a try for yourself and see how delicious it can be?